Hi Everyone.

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Lou8
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Everyone.

Hi there.
I am new. I chat on Dave Gorman's Forum and know Wormella from there so she recommended this site to me.
Have been having a browse around - such a great resource.
I live in Aberdeenshire and have recently just moved into a house with my very own garden for the first time. I have just started getting veg boxes delivered, we recycle as much as we can and today I planted my first quince tree. Yes, I know it might not do so well in these conditions but it was a housewarming from my friend and I really fancied giving it a try.
I have a fairly big bit of garden - well especially for someone totally new to it. There is a plot at the bottom which is currently a dump for huge boulders and stuff but I have drawn out plans to get it converted into a veg plot. I am waiting for the mannie who said he would come round and give me a quote to take away the boulders and build a fence for me - but he has a lot of work on just now having just started out on his own.
My big dream is to eventually get an AGA. I need to save my pennies.

woolcraft
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hiya Lou, Yeah this is a great site with a lot of useful down-to-earth information. Welcome and looking forward to hearing more from you, Sue

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

People buy boulders perhaps rather than pay a man to remove them you could sell them on ebay or something and get someone to pay you to remove them. Just a thought.

Anyway hello and welcome to our forum. :andy:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

hedgewitch
A selfsufficientish Regular

hello and welcome to the forum :flower:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

hedgewizard

Yeah, or post a card in the nearest corner shop. "Rockery materials, all reasonable offers considered. Buyer collects" 8)

Welcome!

Lou8
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

The problem with the boulders is that we have already used any nice bits of stone for rockeries so what's left isn't particularly nice.

I really just want it gone now.

Shirley

YAY - another from Aberdeenshire. Whereabouts are you Lou??
We are near Alford.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Millymollymandy

Hi Lou and welcome to the site. Be interesting to hear how your quince tree does - we've been discussing quinces quite a bit on this forum!

Lou8
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi I'm near New Deer.
I will keep you updated about my quinces.
Am away to plant a second today (there was a mix up with the delivery so I got two). The first one I have put up against a wall and today's one I will have as a free-standing tree so I can do a comparison.

ina

Hiya Lou

I'm the third from Aberdeenshire! Further south, though (but probably no warmer, because I'm a bit up in the hills!). I'm about 30 miles south of Aberdeen (historic Kincardineshire).

Yes, quinces... You are touching a sore spot there. I've done a bit of research on that and decided I wouldn't chance it - they don't seem to like it windy and cold. Can't do anything about the wind up here - but maybe you have a more sheltered spot. Anyway, if you end up with a glut, I'll take them off your hands! :lol:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Lou8
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Ina,
Ha ha - no I live in the windiest bit in the world. Gales every day - urghhhh. My quinces will just have to learn to be very hardy.

I love Kincardineshire. I went to school in Portlethen, and did my driving test in Stonehaven. My boyfrend at school lived in Stonehaven so we used to spend a lot of time at Dunnottar and that monument on the hill - what's it called? That was our favourite romantic spot.

Unsurprisingly, Sunset Song is my favourite book. I have the same conflict as Chris between academia and the land.

Libby
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hiya Lou :flower:
I want to wake up in the morning and see green!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Lou8 & welconme to the site!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

Lou8 wrote: Unsurprisingly, Sunset Song is my favourite book. I have the same conflict as Chris between academia and the land.
Yes, I've read it a couple of times, too! It's funny to read about so many places you recognise - and then pick out what had been added! Never made it to the Grassic Gibbon centre, though - not yet.

I'm lucky as I work in research (very much at the practical and mucky end), but in the country! Lambing just now - better get out and see what my two little orphan lambs are up to...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Lou8
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi All. Thanks for the welcome.

I love lambies. My husband Steve gets fed up with me stopping the car to take photos when I see little lambs. I am very lucky here just now as I see loads of lambs every day n my way to and from work.