How do I clean a feather cushion that's been weed on?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

How do I clean a feather cushion that's been weed on?

Katie fell asleep on the chair and had an accident. It's gone all over the feather cushion. I whipped the cover off it quick, but too late and it's soaked in. As I can't put a feather cushion in the wash, I'm wondering what to do? So far I've sprayed it with disinfectant, then I got the idea to sprinkle bicarb on it to soak up the moisture. What would you recommend? I don't want the cushion smelling of stale wee :shock:
Rosey xx

Big Al

Re: How do I clean a feather cushion that's been weed on?

Rosendula wrote:Katie fell asleep on the chair and had an accident. It's gone all over the feather cushion. I whipped the cover off it quick, but too late and it's soaked in. As I can't put a feather cushion in the wash, I'm wondering what to do? So far I've sprayed it with disinfectant, then I got the idea to sprinkle bicarb on it to soak up the moisture. What would you recommend? I don't want the cushion smelling of stale wee :shock:
Not going to be too much help here but the only example I have of feather filling is in a sleeping bag and that had to be dry cleaned. I'm guessing you don't want the expense or environmental consequenses of that so sorry but I hate to see posts not answered... it's a foible of mine..
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

What would happen to the feathers if you washed it in the machine? They won't disintegrate or anything will they? I mean, on a woolens cycle or something.

I would just bung it in.... it'll take ages to dry and might need some work to get the puff back in it but I'd rather that than having to chuck it because it stinks.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Rosendula

Annpan wrote:What would happen to the feathers if you washed it in the machine? They won't disintegrate or anything will they? I mean, on a woolens cycle or something.
I put a feather pillow in the machine several years ago and it came out in a big clump and never separated again. Perhaps I put it on for too long, but I'm scared that even if I put this on a short delicate wash I might ruin it. :? I was hoping someone would tell me a magic spell or something. :lol:
Rosey xx

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, you just have to put a few tennis balls or a pair of trainers in the machine with it so they keep bashing it while it is in there.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Rosendula

:cheers: Oh right! Thanks Annpan, I'll give it a try then.
Rosey xx

sheena
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The only literature that I can find advises to use the dreaded dryclean method, however I know that when this happened to my sister she put a pillowcase over the cushion and tacked it in and washed it on a delicate wash with a few other items and it came out alright.
She started the drying process off with her hairdyer(don't know why didn't ask at the time) and finished it in the tumble dryer and it was fine.
Good luck.

Rosendula

It survived! :mrgreen: Thank you for the advice. I put it on a woollens wash with some heavyish plastic wash balls that are meant to 'massage' the laundry as the drum turns and cut down on the amount of detergent used. It came out absolutely fine. :sunny:
Rosey xx

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

becks77

Not very ish but to get the feathers dry what about using a tumble dryer sort of fluff it up again.
Glad the washing worked.
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Rosendula

I don't have a tumble drier. It's drying nicely though. I've propped it up on top of the radiator, which is allowing the air to circulate around it pretty well, even though the radiator isn't on. It's quite warm in here today as well because I'm making loads of biscuits :mrgreen: So the cushion might smell of biscuits but we can cope with that. Better than it smelling of wee :lol:
Rosey xx