Any ideas for using up eggs !!

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
frenchfox
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Any ideas for using up eggs !!

Hi,
My chickens have gone into overdrive!!
Already I have pickled some (eggs), made lemon curd and egg custard bit I really need more ideas on what I can do with them..
I have offered them to my neighbour but she has chickens herself..
Ideally i need some recipes that are suitable for the freezer and cheap to make!!
thanks for any replies xx :salute:

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Re: Any ideas for using up eggs !!

:scratch: Somewhere in the back of my memory banks is a 'you can freeze eggs' message, separate them and freeze them in pots - cover yolks with a little water. the whites can also be whisked and made into meringues which freeze well
Or make mayonnaise
Or cheesecake (six eggs for a cooked cheesecake(Kásekuchen))
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Clara

quiche?
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

becks77

Eggs can be beaten up into suitable quantities and frozen, then defrosted and used. What about bartering them for something with neighbours etc.?
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

frenchfox
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for all the ideas... I'm gonna get busy !!
I only have one neighbour and has chickens of her own so really doesnt need my eggs although once I have made the lemon curd she will get a pot whether she likes it or not !! :lol:

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

What about selling them outside your house?I do this, despite lots of people saying it was a minefield,I have to leave empty boxes with stones in them with a sign on asking people to collect from the door when they pay as I have had eggs and jam stolen on 3 occasions but no cash taken,I have a sign out. I am getting 6-8 eggs a day and sell 6 boxes a week ,that pays for the upkeep and we get free eggs and my husband doesn't get omelette every day!!I also make jam and chutneys too and they are very popular but I won't be retiring just yet.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I take it that you don't go out to work or have any friends? I sell my eggs all around my home town. Friends, OH's work colleagues, friends of my neighbours etc. all buy my eggs. OK so I have to make the effort to go out and deliver the eggs but it's good exercise. Like Clare, the money I receive pays for their feed etc.

You just have to ask.

Zoe

frenchfox
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi ya,
Thanks for all your ideas...

I live in the middle of the back of beyond... a really beautiful remote place, the kids can play safely and only one or two cars pass the house each day..

I have now started making lemon curd.. there seems to be a lack of it here in France so it looks like I have cornered a little market!! Plus my eggs are being asked for by other English people.. especially the duck eggs !! :flower: