Where is it Feasable to Build from Scratch?

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Avalon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Where is it Feasable to Build from Scratch?

Hi all,

The pair of us were talking the other day about our plans to eventually ditch the rat race and develop a smallholding out in the sticks. Mike, who's interested in incorporating a woodcraft slant to our plans, suggested that we build a house out of straw bales. This sounds fantastic to me and we're both looking forward to carrying out our plans with greater enthusiasm!

However, Mike's been doing some more research into this today, and it seems that here in the UK, there's an awful lot of (expensive) beauracy involved. So much in fact, that we might not be able to do this at all. There is a way around it where we get a mobile home instead, but if I'm honest, this doesn't appeal in the same way, and I think it's a real step down for him too.

He would like to move to Scotland for this venture; I've been thinking more Canada or North America. Now, I gather that, as the UK is so beaurocratic, other countries are likely to be less so. Does anyone know a more easy-going country where the primary language is English?

Thanks in advance!

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Where is it Feasable to Build from Scratch?

Certain areas of the US are pretty lenient about houses, but not all. Try Wyoming or Alaska?

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scotland isn't that easy to get land in - The countryside in certain areas is full of people buying small-holdings to escape the rat-race and the prices reflect that.

I'd personally go for Canada (I have images of swathes of open country in my head)
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

CosmicSquirrel
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We've just started to do that very thing here in New Zealand. We moved from the UK around 4 years ago and have just got around to buying a plot of land out in the sticks (or wop wops as they are known here!) Next week our slab goes down as the first step in self building.

Building regs are not too OTT and provided your house is safe and waterproof, you can pretty much build what you like. Cost wise it's set us back around 60k UKP to buy 8 acres of decent land with a very nice view and total privacy, around 30 minutes commute from 2 large towns.

Getting them to let you in the country is a bit of a paper work mission, but (speaking from experience) not half as long winded as getting in to Canada.

NZ (Lower central North Island) has the advantage of being sunny all year round, not too hot in the summer (ave daytime temp 24C) and very mild in the winter (ave daytime temp 12C). Plenty of rainfall too. Most things in the garden grow like stink, and there's no dangerous wildlife to bite/poison/eat you. All in all, a very agreeable place to be.

Avalon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

@ CosmicSquirrel: Oo-ee! I might suggest that to him, then! NZ sounds ideal, in that case! I'll talk to him about it some more...

7cats
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Bulgaria, the climates good, land is cheap ,the people are friendly, there are jobs here,theres decent houses with land & outbuildings from 3000euros many of the brits iv met here have come here from spain & france ,

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

You should have no problem at all building with straw in the UK, as long as it passes building regs you are ok. Try reading up on it here.

http://www.amazonails.org.uk/

My fav SB house has to be this one.

http://www.gwaliaessences.co.uk/pictures.htm
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 38.579065
longitude: -121.491014

You might want to check out this site, they are an eco-community in Missouri. some parts, not all of missouri have no building, zoning or use requirments at all......you can build or do what you want. :cheers: http://www.dancingrabbit.org/ :cheers:
WHEN MY IRISH EYES ARE SMILING I'M USUALLY UP TO SOMETHING!!!
NEVER REGRET THAT WHICH ONCE MADE YOU SMILE.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Quite a few plots aren't 'local needs' in Republic of Ireland too.

http://www.daft.ie/sales/

They do have building regs & so on but not nearly so tight as the ones in the UK. Just don't buy the plot we have our eyes on lol

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!