Cucumber seedlings

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cucumber seedlings

I've just noticed I'm a 'Bit higher than a newbie' - cool!

My cucumber seedlings are going great guns - they are now about 4 inches long, but still only with the two leaves at the top. Is this what they are meant to be doing? They look a bit leggy to me.

I've taken the propagator cover off and they are still in the warmest room in the house, in front of the window (which is light but not particularly sunny). Should I move them, cover them or something? I have one of those little 'growhouses' - eg a shelving unit with a plastic cover, but no greenhouse.

Ideas? :dontknow:
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cucumber seedlings

They'll be looking for the daylight... they need as much direct sunlight as you can give them. If this means getting them a custom to being in the greenhouse thingy then that's what you have to do.

Once a seed has produced a seedling it needs sunlight, not heat. Most of the time a seed must be warm to germinate but will carry on growing at much lower temperatures. But don't just stick them in the greenhouse straight away, put them out during the day at first and bring them in at night... for about 2 or 3 days.. then leave them out all the time, unless there is a threat of frost I guess.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks Annpann - I'll start tomorrow!
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

They definately don't like being too hot - I lost a few as mine went in the g/house and it got a bit warm, they were all droopy and limp.

Luckily moving them outside perked them up a bit but I have had to move them outside every day since, where they seem to be happier.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

godfreyrob
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We have a frost forecast for saturday night here in West Yorkshire - its going to be -3C. That would finish most things off in the greenhouse unless its heated or very well insulated.

So watch out for tender things like cucumber - get them back in the house well before it goes dark.

Chicken6
Tom Good
Tom Good

i'm pleased that I didn't start planting in the last lot of warm weather, thought I would hang on and see if there was a cold spell. A couple of plot holders who always seem to pride themselves on getting everything done before everyone else seem to have lost a lot of crops. I glanced accross as I walked past their greenhouses and the small plants don't look good at all.

They hated it when the polytunnel went up and openly said it was a waste of time and only greenhouse work. :blah5: :blah5: :blah5:

Millymollymandy

It's always a problem growing on windowsills with seedlings getting leggy and growing towards the light. I honestly wouldn't put your seedlings outside yet as you can't plant cucumbers outside until all risk of frost has passed and that's quite a way away yet. Also if it is a warm day and you do put them out, be careful of direct sunlight as that might frazzle them (although of course that can happen indoors too on a sunny windowsill!).

One year I sowed lots of things like cucs and squash way too early indoors (in March) and they were all leggy and too long and weak by the time planting out time came, so I had to start all over again. The much later sown seedlings were much healthier and grew miles quicker than the sad early ones - a lot of which withered and died anyway.

I know it's hard but sometimes you have to just be patient and wait that bit longer. :mrgreen: Anyway you'll soon learn from experience when the right time is for your veg and your climate and situation etc etc.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've realised that I misread the seedling packet and, as MMM said, sowed too early - I followed the instructions for indoor cucumbers. I've been putting everything in the growhouse during the day and bringing it in each night - toms and aubergines are looking great, but cukes are now very leggy but completely prone!

I think I'll start some more cuke seedlings in a couple of weeks - don't hold out much hope for these!

Millymollymandy

They are trailing plants Uller so don't worry too much, though normally if you were to sow them directly in the ground they'd grow upwards quite healthily to start with before flopping (by which time you'd have started to train them towards the support that they'll grow up). Yes do sow some more and then you can choose which ones look the best for planting out. It's all really good experience anyway. :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/