what are you sowing?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: what are you sowing?

Odsox wrote:Can you tell me Red, do you sprout them at normal temperatures?
I remember seeing an article about a someone who grows parsnips for show purposes and he chills the seeds for 2 weeks before giving them a bit of heat .... is that a load of tosh?
I have yet to sow mine as I like to leave them until the end of next month as I get terrible canker if I sow too early.
mine are in the propagator.. so a bit warmer. my parents did them in the airing cupboard.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

chillis and basil are doing nothing on the windowsills

garlic is in pots on the patio, waiting for me to prepare a bed for them down at the 'lottie

everything else is sitting around the house in bags and boxes, staring at me in a slightly disappointed way, as if I'd promised much but delivered nothing.

Was hoping to get the potatoes out to start chitting yesterday, but sadly ran out of time.
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

Enormous Sage
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just put some garlic and jerusalem artichokes down at the start of last week.
One of the garlic cloves is already poking through the soil!

Next week will be Leeks and Celleriac... then lettuce, peas, spinach, salsify... etc.

Millymollymandy

:shock: :shock: :shock: Nothing - yet. It's way too early! :shock: Well I did buy some spuds and put to chit but even that is too early as the sprouts will be too long by the time I plant them - but I had to pick up my freebie spuds from the garden centre before the end of the month.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

my first seedling are through today! :blob: :blob: :blob:

Salad leafs in the coldframe and Pansys on the kitchen windowsill - there is life after all!!
Attachments
first seedling - pansy.jpg
first seedling - pansy.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
Elizabeth

Remember! Turn off, when not in use

http://www.gardenersclick.com/

theabsinthefairy

Riff Raff element

We are about 710 m up, with the valley below us.

Just found us on wiki where it says our population as recorded in 1999 was 213 residents (our commune - our hamlet has 6 including the 3 of us), that has dropped now to less than 200, so the population per km2 has also dropped from 12/km2.

Monika
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

bonniethomas06

I don't belieeeeve it!

On Saturday afternoon I sowed about 25 cucumber seeds in seed compost with a sprinkling of Vermiculite and put in a heated propagator on a windowsill.

On Monday evening after work I checked them and found that 21 seeds were now little seedlings!

Is that the fastest germination or what!?

I am now panicking that I sowed them too early, and that they will get too big before I have space or get the rotten neck disease again because the greenhouse is too hot.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

red

hi and welcome bonniethomas

21 cucumbers plants? you must like cucumber salads!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Aaargh - panic panic *flaps arms wildly in the air* haven't even finished digging yet! Aren't we due another cold spell next week? With 2 under 5's in the house, how long to you think any seed trays on windowsills will last before the excavations start?

bonniethomas06

hi and welcome bonniethomas

21 cucumbers plants? you must like cucumber salads!

Thanks!

I am not really that keen on cucumbers, but I seem to have this innate terror that I haven't grown enough...even though every year without fail I have to heartbreakingly consign hundreds of seedlings to the compost bin.

And the last time I did cucumbers I lost loads due to the rotten neck disease they get. Better safe than sorry!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

rockchick wrote:Aaargh - panic panic *flaps arms wildly in the air* haven't even finished digging yet! Aren't we due another cold spell next week? With 2 under 5's in the house, how long to you think any seed trays on windowsills will last before the excavations start?
Don't worry .... plenty of time yet :cheers: All these others are just showing off.
The best time to sow most crops direct in the soil is early April in the UK as the soil temperature is nowhere near high enough to germinate most seeds.
So you still have about 5 weeks to finish that digging :flower:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Big Al

Annpan wrote:spring onion, leek, lettuce, tomatoes, a single courgette and 2 other things that I forget are sown in modules on the window ledge or in the coldframe.

shallots have gone into the plot

peppers, peas, mange tout, sweetcorn and parsnips are chitting (?) they are sitting on damp kitchen roll or in water to soak them before planting.

Potatoes - Left over maincrop were brought out of storage earlier today to chit.... still haven't bought any earlies :? ... which reminds me of a post I meant to make....

How do you do your parsnips red?
I've found that if you soak the larger seeds overnight in a solution of seaweed feed ans warm water they sprout into life a lot faster.
For parsnips i put them on a saucer and stick them in the freezer overnight. Been very hit and mis but got about 80% of those sown where as none came from direct planting into the soil.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just put them in the fridge for a couple of days rather than freeze them :drunken:
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)

sleepyowl

Scarlet Emperor- runner beans
Temptation- strawberries
Hot Assorted- chillies
Tumbling Tom- tomatoes
Salad mix
Early Nantes- carrots
Coriander
Lupins
Foxgloves
Opium Poppies
Cupid's Dart
Love in a mist
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Odsox wrote:
rockchick wrote:Aaargh - panic panic *flaps arms wildly in the air* haven't even finished digging yet! Aren't we due another cold spell next week? With 2 under 5's in the house, how long to you think any seed trays on windowsills will last before the excavations start?
Don't worry .... plenty of time yet :cheers: All these others are just showing off.
The best time to sow most crops direct in the soil is early April in the UK as the soil temperature is nowhere near high enough to germinate most seeds.
So you still have about 5 weeks to finish that digging :flower:

Phew! Although, I really think I might have to get a couple of things at least going on windowsills, am just trying to work out which is least likely to get sabotaged!