Electricity Usage Club

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Electricity Usage Club

I've added two readings, start point and day seven.

We are on ecconomy 7 and have electric underfloor heating the kitchen. So the site doesn't allow for two different prices!

Having read this topic I have now joined the ish carbon club. I'm only on electric, have an open fire which we only light when we have visitors for diner 'cause it is in the dining room!

I seem to be 1/4 not sure what that means as there are 6 members?

Have changed the time of the water being heated to the cheap night electricity!
Elizabeth

Remember! Turn off, when not in use

http://www.gardenersclick.com/

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Big Al, I hope you've recovered from the after effects of the smoke. It's amazing how smoke can permeate everything. I don't know what you mean by being a spack, it's possible I am one too..

Ok Just put my latest reads in to imeasure & i am only no 2 in the ishers club, and I managed (somehow) to use 1 less unit of gas than i have recently..and a few units less elec too. Again, not sure how I've managed it, maybe by playing around with the thermostat more.

so 9 units of gas & 38 units of elec this week.

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

ellie12022 wrote:Big Al, I hope you've recovered from the after effects of the smoke. It's amazing how smoke can permeate everything. I don't know what you mean by being a spack, it's possible I am one too..

Ok Just put my latest reads in to imeasure & i am only no 2 in the ishers club, and I managed (somehow) to use 1 less unit of gas than i have recently..and a few units less elec too. Again, not sure how I've managed it, maybe by playing around with the thermostat more.

so 9 units of gas & 38 units of elec this week.

Well at best I'm totally non Politically Correct so my term above is reference to my disabillities so being a S&*^* means being disabled in modern day PC world type language... (I feal a report this post coming on somewhere....)

My gas has gone through the roof this last month. In total I've spent £120 ish on gas and £50 ish on electric. Still had to keep warm as they say. I had a brill idea last saturday to save money and keep warm. I said to mt wife we should stay in bed all day to keep warm...etc. She replied sit in the chair near the window and wait for the sun to shine... Oh well....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Non PC correctness, sounds good to me. As does your wife. My husband & I spend a lot of time in bed - not necessarily together :lol:
Are you enjoying sitting by the window? (you'd be cold in my house, there's no double glazing so it's a bit draughty!) :hugish:

Big Al

ellie12022 wrote:Non PC correctness, sounds good to me. As does your wife. My husband & I spend a lot of time in bed - not necessarily together :lol:
Are you enjoying sitting by the window? (you'd be cold in my house, there's no double glazing so it's a bit draughty!) :hugish:
Nope, the bloody dog got the seat before me !!
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

pumpy

We've just paid our leccy bill for £265 (we're all electric), the corresponding bill last year was £248. These last 12 months we have made a serious effort to "manage" our energy consumption. Given that the price was increased by some 30% last summer, we have made quite a saving. It just shows that with a bit of effort, energy savings CAN be made! P.S. that was for the last quarter.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Big Al

pumpy wrote:We've just paid our leccy bill for £265 (we're all electric), the corresponding bill last year was £248. These last 12 months we have made a serious effort to "manage" our energy consumption. Given that the price was increased by some 30% last summer, we have made quite a saving. It just shows that with a bit of effort, energy savings CAN be made! P.S. that was for the last quarter.
Congrats pumpy.... The sad part is that we as consumers HAVE TO economise just to keep the cost reasonable. Still a saving of around £75 is better in your pocket than the greedy power companies.

edited for better calculations :thumbright:
Secret Asparagus binger

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Still don't understand why the ish club rating is out of 4 when it says it has 6 members - Any clues?
Elizabeth

Big Al

Elizabeth wrote:Still don't understand why the ish club rating is out of 4 when it says it has 6 members - Any clues?
Sorry elizabeth, no idea. I know there were 6 members at first then that dropped to 4. Maybe it is 4 members that are up to date with the readings.

I was expecting a lot more from the carbon club but it's a new site as part of a university research programme so maybe they need to work on it.
All I do know is that I'm constantly at the bottom peg....

HTH

Biger Al.
Secret Asparagus binger

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks Big Al.

I'm now at the bottom - probably the electric blanket 'cause hubby is away!
Elizabeth

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

So who's number 1 in the ishers club? I'm number 2 again this week, had the electric heater on last night for ages it was so cold.

Yes. the carbon club is quite limited, but they are talking about adding things, I don't know what. It helps me remember to take a reading and input it. I think it would be handy if you could input the prices you actually pay instead of a standard amount.

Pumpy, well done on cutting down on the electric. It's difficult for me to compare last year to this as last year I was on my own half of the time, and using the gas fire.

I did try & shut off the radiator in the kitchen, but failed miserably. I was going to see if that would make any difference to the amount of gas being used.

Big Al, I'm glad the dog is happy :mrgreen:

Feeling slightly virtuous at the minute, have actually switched the tele off :cheers: Despite my best intentions I still have it on a lot even if it's not really being watched :oops:

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I seem to have moved to top position! Find that hard to believe!
Elizabeth

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello Elizabeth, so you're the top dog, I can see you'll be hard to beat (except when hubby's away :lol: )

Having seen some ranges (small) on another thread, my hubby & I are quite tempted to see if we can put one in our dining room. He remembers his mother and grandmother having one, and says you can burn all kinds of things in them, but you don't need to stockpile big piles of wood, so more practical for our circumstances. Hopefully would fit in the fireplace, and would replace the old-fashioned electric fire which is there now. If necessary it would heat water etc as well on the top. Wait and see... :cat:

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello Elizabeth, so you're the top dog, I can see you'll be hard to beat (except when hubby's away )
Thank's Ellie,

We only have an open fire - which is in a room that we only use when we have people round! Other than that we have two over night storage heaters, underfloor electric heating in the Kitchen and an electric towel rail in the bathroom.

The underfloor heating in the kitchen is just great. We only heat the water once in 24hrs.

Oh and I have a wrap around and a great big furry snuggle blanket!

We are waiting to see if we can sell our cottage otherwise we would be putting in a woodburner with oven and hot plate which also would help to heat the water.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The heat from the laptop helps too.......
:wav:
Elizabeth