Who wants to gloat

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Paul the Gardener
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Who wants to gloat

For all you fishermen, Whats the biggest fish that you have ever chaught. :cheers:
Try once, Try twice and then once more

benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Who wants to gloat

Don't go often enough tbh... I work in Hamble Point Marina so have no excuse really!
Biggest eating fish was a Ray 5 or 6 lb ish! I only ever seem to catch little ones I've caught bigger carp but they don't really count. Went out on a charter boat a few weeks before xmas really bad day for all on board but my 2 yr old enjoyed her Pouting and Chips the following day! I preferred the whiting I have to add.

Might try and go this weekend if the cold weather hangs about

ajstone
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

57lb Conger Eel that I never ate, a 31lb Cod that I did, it was really yummy.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've never actually been fishing - but it's something I'd love to do. In fact I reacently said to my OH that for my birthday he was to book me a place on the local sea fishing boat trips!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Never actually weighed any. But I do enjoy June when the mackerel are running and feathers can get you half a dozen on the line at a go! Barbied mackerel, soused mackerel, smoked mackerel ..... salivating at the thought!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I only ever fish for mackerel off the rocks in front of the house ... now that's really fresh fish, can be caught, cooked and on your plate in minutes.
Not sure the biggest but one day I caught 6 on all 6 feathers on the trace, it was one hellovva job to land them.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

4 1/2lb pollack caught with light spinning gear from a SOT kayak. Nearly caught a young basking shark while spinning for mackerel on the same day though! Ah, the one that got away... :drunken:

red

Odsox wrote:I only ever fish for mackerel off the rocks in front of the house ... now that's really fresh fish, can be caught, cooked and on your plate in minutes.
Not sure the biggest but one day I caught 6 on all 6 feathers on the trace, it was one hellovva job to land them.
oh I'm jealous of you there... I have only caught mackerel off a boat.. and i get horrendously sea sick.. so its just not worth it

any advice for mackerel fishing from the shore? high tide?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

red wrote:any advice for mackerel fishing from the shore? high tide?
Yes, high tide is best. The water is deep though, it goes straight down for about 20 feet from the rocks I stand on, so at high tide there's not so much chance of snagging the hooks on the weed.
On a good day the surface of the water "boils" with fry being chased by the mackerel, then you have a pretty good idea where to cast :lol:
Tony

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

OK - stupid question time. Do you have to have a real rod and tackle or can I have some sort of homemade gizmo. Advice appreciated.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:OK - stupid question time. Do you have to have a real rod and tackle or can I have some sort of homemade gizmo. Advice appreciated.
Yes you do really need a rod, a reel, good quality line, some sort of lure type hook and a weight.
The reason for that is you have to cast out as far as you can and then wind in the line either smoothly or in a jerky fashion until either you catch a mackerel or you have rewound it. The lure (I use feathers) is designed to look like a shoal of small colourful fish and your job is to make them look realistic as they apparently swim through the water. Mackerel being greedy predators will then grab the "fish" only to find a hook in it's mouth.
If you go out in a boat, you only need the line and lure but a rod is a lot cheaper than buying a boat :lol:
Tony

benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green Aura wrote:OK - stupid question time. Do you have to have a real rod and tackle or can I have some sort of homemade gizmo. Advice appreciated.
Ever since I was a kid I know that loads of people have caught fish on the Hamble with crab lines. Although I've never tried myself, a few of the guys at work have caught plenty of bass in the summer on hand lines baited with bacon! Also I've seen mullet caught on line tied to a big bit of bamboo, small hook baited with bread flake. But then I guess it depends where you can get access to the water.

You can knock up a hand line from nylon twine or something similar. If you can get to a pier or breakwater or anywhere where the water is deep close to the shore, then I don't see why you shouldn't have a good chance of catching fish. :pirate:

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Green Aura,

Good old Ray Mears has shown designs for catching fish from a line wrapped round an empty beercan, and most seaside tat-shops have cheap, hand-held crabbing lines for sale. Our hunter/gatherer ancestors didn't have access to carbon fibre rods, nylon line and steel hooks. So, go on, improvise, you never know your luck!

Benner, what size hook? How much bread crumb? And do you have to drop it very close to the mullet? I've never caught one and have only ever seen anyone get them by foul-hooking, to find out there's a more humane way interests me.

Love and Peace
Jim

benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

jim wrote: Benner, what size hook? How much bread crumb? And do you have to drop it very close to the mullet? I've never caught one and have only ever seen anyone get them by foul-hooking, to find out there's a more humane way interests me.
Jim
Fishing for mullet is similar to stalking carp on fresh water, they are both notorious for throwing hooks, so I reckon something like a size 8 carp hook with a small amount of bread pinched over the bend and eye. Keep an open for fish feeding on the surface, this is easy in the marinas as in the summer they can be found feeding on the weed on the pontoons. Drop your bread flake as close to the fish without spooking and see how you get on. They can be very difficult to catch so have patience!

Just out of interest, where in Hants are you?

Give it a try, good luck
Benner

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Benner,

Thanks for the info, will give it a try in when I next see mullet in Fareham Creek.

I'm on the outskirts of Fareham, near the Wickham road,

Love and Peace
Jim