Do/could you live without a credit card? Is this a goal...?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Do/could you live without a credit card? Is this a goal...?

Shabba wrote:
MikeM wrote:interesting Julie, very interesting. :lol:
This is the first time I've noticed anyone being genuinely unpleasant on this site and it's very disappointing. You are incredibly smug and patronising and since we're in the mood for insults your spelling and grammar are appalling!Suck on that, wiseguy :bootyshake:

ah, hypocracy, very nice. If I was interested in proving a point I could show you some wonderful examples of name calling and unpleasantness, but I'll leave you to stew in a pit of your own ignorance instead. :lol:
Hypocrite slayer for hire. So many hypocrites, so little time.

Shabba
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I am fairly new to Ish MikeM, so when I said I'd never seen anyone being genuinely unpleasant before, I wasn't implying it never happened, I just meant I'd not seen it and it was not nice when I finally did.

On that subject, I would like to apologise to everyone else, as I have since regretted my previous post as it just contributed to the generally unpleasant atmosphere created by MikeM's attitude.

Perhaps if we met, MikeM, we might actually like each other and I am not prepared to enter into a slanging match with you when we are dealing with a means of communication where misunderstandings can so easily occur. And I'm more than happy to remain ignorant of previous cases of people being as unfriendly as you have been on this occasion.

I don't claim to be innocent in this. As I said above, what you said wound me up and I contributed to a row rather than ignoring it. So I'm prepared to be the bigger person here and apologise. I don't know you and I've no right to judge you, I just felt that JulieSherris was only trying to keep the peace and explain a misunderstanding, but you felt the need to respond to that with a condescending remark. That strikes me as rather sad.

Anyway, I'll leave this on a friendly note. I'm sorry for getting involved and I hope we can forget all about it!

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

and I objected to Julies hypocracy. Still, I accept your apology. :lol:

EDIT: just noticed, you were here when a particlularly nasty bit of name calling went on. Noticed you didn't object to that. Oh dear... :lol: :lol:

Shabba

I didn't notice it. When and where did it occur?

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

as I said, I have no interest in proving anything to you. Guess that what comes from being "smug and patronising". Still, at least I ain't no hypocrite :lol: .

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

MikeM - you might want to take a minute and read the guidance on how we work here, and what we expect of our members - your general attitude towards others is occasionally offensive and can I ask you politely to consider others feelings when posting responses.

Shabba - occasionally things do get heated, we can all help minimise this if we all keep our cool :dave: Threads can get deleted by mods when they go to far.

Back on topic - I think credit cards are great when you can beat the banks at their own game, but a very easy way to run up huge debts if you don't keep on top of it. We like ours, and use very sensibly - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ has great tips to help you do this.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Annpan wrote:MikeM - you might want to take a minute and read the guidance on how we work here, and what we expect of our members - your general attitude towards others is occasionally offensive and can I ask you politely to consider others feelings when posting responses.
I'm so glad a mod decided to step in. Tho I noticed you were all rather quiet in another thread when namecalling and character questioning were going on. Do those rules about considering the feelings of others only apply to certain posters? :lol:

John Headstrong

MikeM wrote:
I'm so glad a mod decided to step in. Tho I noticed you were all rather quiet in another thread when namecalling and character questioning were going on. Do those rules about considering the feelings of others only apply to certain posters? :lol:
Mods can not be expected and indeed it is unreasonable to expect that mods read every single thread, mods respond to issues that they notice or that are flagged up by other users.
THE RULES wrote: Being Nice

The clue is in the title "be nice". Treat others as you would wish to be treated, and Selfsufficientish.com will continue to be a happy group. There is no need for throwing insults or names at each other, perhaps take some time out and try to see things from a distance. Selfsufficientish prides itself on being friendly and welcoming.

If you have a problem with another member try and sort it out with them, if this does not work or you feel threatened by someone then please contact a moderator.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

MikeM wrote:
Annpan wrote:MikeM - you might want to take a minute and read the guidance on how we work here, and what we expect of our members - your general attitude towards others is occasionally offensive and can I ask you politely to consider others feelings when posting responses.
Where was that then? If you are going to repeatedly mention this then please link to it or don't mention it at all.

I personally did not notice anything wrong with your original post nor did I find it condescending. But you are overstepping the mark now. Please stop!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Millymollymandy wrote:
MikeM wrote:
Where was that then? If you are going to repeatedly mention this then please link to it or don't mention it at all.

I personally did not notice anything wrong with your original post nor did I find it condescending. But you are overstepping the mark now. Please stop!
I was called smug and patronising and I'm the one overstepping the mark??? Ayecarumba. :lol:

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

John Headstrong wrote:
MikeM wrote:
Mods can not be expected and indeed it is unreasonable to expect that mods read every single thread, mods respond to issues that they notice or that are flagged up by other users.
THE RULES wrote: Being Nice

The clue is in the title "be nice". Treat others as you would wish to be treated, and Selfsufficientish.com will continue to be a happy group. There is no need for throwing insults or names at each other, perhaps take some time out and try to see things from a distance. Selfsufficientish prides itself on being friendly and welcoming.

If you have a problem with another member try and sort it out with them, if this does not work or you feel threatened by someone then please contact a moderator.
yet a mod (or two now) made the choice to step in now. Hmmm, some odd decisions about when mods do and don't step in. However, I will point out again that I did not start the name calling. Someone responded to my original post to which I responded. The name calling was started by someone else, are you also going to contact and chastise them in public?

Graye

MikeM, can I just suggest you let this go now? You are getting nowhere with it except perhaps the dubious pleasure of having the last word.

I've just added up the credit limits on my cards and come to the rather staggering total of 33,800 pounds. If I had a sudden mental aberation/financial crisis or call it what you may I doubt I would be paying them back anytime soon. I seem to remember from the time I DID use them regularly that the more I spent, the higher the credit limit became. A cynical move by the credit card company dressed up as "caring and understanding" I would venture?
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Graye wrote:MikeM, can I just suggest you let this go now? You are getting nowhere with it except perhaps the dubious pleasure of having the last word.
I'm not interested in the last word at all. I am, however, interested in knowing why the mods decided to "chastise" me for behaviour that was far milder than some of the stuff that has been said in this thread (and others). The bubble of hypoocrasy must be oricked at every opportunity.
However, I thank you for taking an interest in me.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

i found myslf incredibly in debt while i was a student, i had a £1500 overdraft and a £500 credit card which were both maxed out at the end. This, however, taught me how to be sensible. ok i learnt the hard way, but i can at least teach my daughter how to be sensible.

my parents are very much of the "buy now, think later" generation and it gets my goat that i learnt my bad money management from my mum :( she's taught me so many other really great things, but that was a black spot to mar two years of my life while i paid off my debts.

and we don't mention my student loan lol!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

JulieSherris wrote:Mike, I don't think Looby meant that her MIL's problems were anything to do you....
I think she was trying to say that not ALL folks who get themselves into problems financially are necessarily 'weak-willed', as you put it.

I expect that you don't mean to, but many of your posts sound as if you are personally attacking other members, or at the very least 'putting them down'. I know that the ability of 'smiling from the wrists down' is not an easy task to achieve, but it sure makes places like this a lot more friendly when you try to do it.

It's nice that you have no problems handling credit cards & such - but different strokes for different folks, huh?

Julie.
Thank for stepping in there Julie, you at least understood my point. I doubt my response would have been as measured and polite!