Books to avoid

By popular demand - The book review section.
zaffre
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Millymollymandy wrote:That giving up smoking book, can't remember what it is called, but the bloke who wrote it died recently from lung cancer. Anyway it didn't bloody work!
I know exactly what you are talking about and I know someone that, after reading it five times, ripped out the last page and used it to make a cigarette...

Ah! Sweet willpower, how you mock me.....

Sigh!

QuakerBear
A selfsufficientish Regular

Dear Karen D,

Slight side step, but why would one put cornflour on babies? I'm confused.
QuakerBear

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

eh?!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

oh. got ya. understand now.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Karen_D
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

QuakerBear wrote:Dear Karen D,

Cornflour (cornstarch) can be used as an alternative to talcum powder and is absorbant in the same way.

If you have light coloured hair it can be used as a dry shampoo (use a roughly a level teaspoon and comb it through the hair it absorbs greasey stuff around the crown and the hair looks clean).

I can't recall exactly what the book said but it was about using "baby powder" as if it was cornstarch talc rather than talcum powder (which is not edible).

Wassail

Karen

quercusrobur
Tom Good
Tom Good

Living Lightly: Travels in Post-Comsumer Society by Dorothy and Walter Shwartz. I bought a copy about ten years ago after being sent a flyer claiming that the book included 'an exclusive interview with Peramculture co-founder david Holmgren', which consisted of about 2 paragraphs... Basically it's their journey around various 'alternative' and 'radical' set-ups around the UK, but their middle class and judgemental perspectives often made me rage and shout at the book, such as when they go to stay with the bloke who single handedly runs an organic box scheme in the Midlands somewhere, and all they do is make comments about his 'threadbare carpet', or remarks about the bloke living at the Pure Genius land squat in Wandsworth who 'still signs on', or their 'guilt' about eating meat. I mean eat meat or don't eat meat, but don't feel 'guitly' about it. And if you DO feel guitly about it don't put it in yer book for flipsake!!!

I read this book back to back with CJ Stone's 'Fierce Dancing', which tells a similar story, ie, his travels around various peaces camps, radical communitys and so forth and could relate to it much better, like the bit where he was meant to travel up to Pollock Road Protest Camp, but ended up getting totally pissed on free lager at the 'Sunday Sport Roadshow' in Glasgow the night before so never made it...
www.spiralseed.co.uk

"Integrated Design for Local Environmental Resources"

sleepyowl

Re: Books to avoid

Generally any books published by Llewelyn as it is a bunch of fluffy headed I talk to dragons nonesense that gives Pagans a rediculous reputation
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Karen_D wrote:
QuakerBear wrote:Dear Karen D,

Cornflour (cornstarch) can be used as an alternative to talcum powder and is absorbant in the same way.

If you have light coloured hair it can be used as a dry shampoo (use a roughly a level teaspoon and comb it through the hair it absorbs greasey stuff around the crown and the hair looks clean).

I can't recall exactly what the book said but it was about using "baby powder" as if it was cornstarch talc rather than talcum powder (which is not edible).

Wassail

Karen
Thats a good idea! Talcum powder is not good for you (or baby) if inhaled - cornflour is a much better idea! :thumbright:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Rod in Japan
Living the good life
Living the good life

How to Store Your Garden Produce by Piers Warren

It seems freezing is your best option in nearly every instance. This kind of reference book is really rendered obsolete by the Internet tubes and the Google gnomes.

(The Internet tubes can't be used as mulch however.)

janemiss
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Delias, "how to cheat at cooking" - enough said....... - last year dad thought he was doing me a favour. Thats why this year i got money ! bless him

deborah
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

sleepyowl wrote:Generally any books published by Llewelyn as it is a bunch of fluffy headed I talk to dragons nonesense that gives Pagans a rediculous reputation
True, true ! lmao !!!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I've had a few busts on the book front
1) The polytunnel companion. It doesn't tell you anything that you can't find for free on any reputable polytunnel website.
2) Permaculture: a designer's manual by Bill mollison. I should point out that this book is not crap - just not much use in temperate climates and cost me a fortune.

I asked OH which gardening books he'd put on this list (he doesn't read most of my other ish stuff) and he said "most of them". While I don't necessarily agree, I know what he means - most British gardening books are talking about the south of England and mention leaving things a couple of weeks later further north.

None even touch on our specific situation up here - maybe I'll have to write one. Although it wouldn't sell many - not enough people :lol:
Can't think of any other's at the mo but they'll come to me.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green Aura wrote:
I asked OH which gardening books he'd put on this list (he doesn't read most of my other ish stuff) and he said "most of them". While I don't necessarily agree, I know what he means - most British gardening books are talking about the south of England and mention leaving things a couple of weeks later further north.

None even touch on our specific situation up here - maybe I'll have to write one. Although it wouldn't sell many - not enough people :lol:
Can't think of any other's at the mo but they'll come to me.
I would buy it!
I'm not as far North as you, Green Aura, but my last garden was in Bedfordshire, and I'm about to start gardening in Cumbria and I expect it to be quite different.
A fruit and veg growing guide that doesn't assume that the only thing that Northerners grow are whippets and black puddings would be very welcome!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I think we've got plenty of folks from your neck of the woods, but if you need any advice put it in a post. There'll be no shortage of supplies.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

shae

How to Store Your Garden Produce by Piers Warren
I second this - was very disappointing!