Freezing shedloads of stuff

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Freezing shedloads of stuff

Is this the right section? Hmm, not sure it is but not sure where would be better.

We have a chest freezer, and a small upright that we inherited with the house. Both are groaning so we're trying to get a third on Freecycle. I've been using my vast collection of tupperwares for freezing, and periodically tipping frozen strawbs, rasps and other small bits into horribly un-eco freezer bags so I can reuse the tups. What I'm slowly getting round to asking is, does anyone have a magic solution for freezing batch cooking, garden produce and other unpre-packaged stuff without spending a fortune on more tupperwares etc? I've tried marg tubs in the past (we have the 1kg sort, get through 3-4 a month - we have teenagers, 'nuff said) but they are quite fragile in the freezer - lids get smashed in, and they don't really seal tight enough. I'm trying to avoid buying more tups, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Right, off to pick more rasps to cram into the freezer!
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Freezing shedloads of stuff

Put the stuff you want to freeze into a freezer bag, put the freezer bag into a tupperware box or marg. tub and freeze the lot. When it's solid, remove the freezer bag from the box, put the bag back in the freezer and now you have your box back to re-use as a mould.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

squeaky
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

What a brilliant solution!

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

That's exactly the kind of genius answer I was looking for! Thanks MKG :thumbright:
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Whereabouts are you? I have a cupboardfull of used margarine tubs, yoghurt tubs and the like that you could have. Ideal for the freezer. Try asking around friends and family for them.

Zoe

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oh, have just realised I didn't sort out my profile when I rejoined - couldn't log in after the forum changes so I'm back to being a Margot :? I'm in Herefordshire - thanks for the very kind offer but we seem to breed marg etc tubs.

I used to live and work in Swindon, many moons ago :drunken: