In what way are you naughty?

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

Brij wrote:
2) Hair : products. Love to just use the stuff from Lush but I'm not rich enough. And I haven't found a decent home-made conditioner, I need to straighten my hair (I like my fringe, but curly fringes just aren't cool!) and that means I have to use that protecting stuff to stop it from splitting. Said products often come from Australia... they are the cheapest quality products I can find! (the make-up I use doesn't count, each pot lasts forever!)
Lush is not exactly eco-friendly anyway, just like the Body Shop its all PR. All synthetic scents and SLS. They do use plant based products too, but judging by the headaches I get from just walking past there, not enough!

My naughty behaviour includes

1 Using tissue/kitchen paper. Though I do use recycled and try to be sparing with it. The kitchen paper does get composted though. As do all the cardboard tubes!

2 I'm currently running two mobile phones. I'm a bad bad boy!

3 I often feel guilty about having a pc and the like, but since my electricity is from Ecotricity, I try not to let it worry me!

4 (This one is pretty bad) I don't recycle! In my defence, the first time I put my recycle bin out it got stolen (I live en route to a high school) and I've been waiting since then (maybe about 3 years) for a new one from the council. That said, I do try to buy things with little to no packaging. Since I don't drive it would be tricky for me to carry a bunch of stuff to the closest public recycling bins so what waste I do produce goes into the wheelie bin I'm afraid.

On balance though, I think I'm doing well. As I say, I don't drive (I walk, bus or use the train and only occasionally get a lift, and even more rarely a taxi) and I don't use any household chemicals or synthetic based toiletries. (My only failing here is toothpaste. I've yet to find one which is eco-friendly and effective enough) I'm a strict vegetarian and only use organic/free-range dairy and eggs and since discovering this board, I've successfully made the switch to Fairtrade on chocolate and sugar.
I also try to buy local whenever I can.
I think as long as we do what we can, to the best of our ability, then we shouldn't feel too guilty about the naughty things we do! There's always someone naughtier, and there's always someone greener!
Harm None!

Devon Dumpling
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hey - so do I (Cupra R). I think these are really quite efficient compared to some of the things we could be driving...and I only use it once or twice a week for work - so I make no apologies! (I've had it up to 40mpg by driving at 56mph on the motorway with the lorries).
I don't feel so bad now...ha, ha, ha!!! :lol:
Oh to be in Devon....

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've been using commercial eco-friendly compost on the allotment for pat 15 months because I haven't been able to produce enough to date for all requirements - working on that one though as am onto compost heap 3 so far this year

I don't use green cleaning materials because I've yet to factor in the cost to the pathetic budget I have - working on that one but not sure of the complete answer yet - the laundry powder is the headache as I get proper filthy on allotment and daughter's Ecover doesn't seem to deep clean enough

I do use kitchen tissue to dry hands after cleaning in cold water on allotment but I do compost it.

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

Flo wrote:
I don't use green cleaning materials because I've yet to factor in the cost to the pathetic budget I have - working on that one but not sure of the complete answer yet - the laundry powder is the headache as I get proper filthy on allotment and daughter's Ecover doesn't seem to deep clean enough
I don't understand when people say they can't afford to buy green cleaning products (I'm not singling you out Flo, you just made me think of it is all). Most of the Ecover range in my local T*sc* is, on average, around the same price as the leading non-green brands, sometimes cheaper, and often lasts far longer and cleans just as well (IMO) though you may sometimes require a boost from a little bicarb or elbow grease.
I actually had a minor falling out with some friends a little while back-we were planning on moving in together but they refused to go green on household cleaners citing price as the issue. The thing of it is, they tend to use the cheap economy brands which seem to get used up much quicker and need to be replaced 3 or 4 times compared to one pack/bottle of a top brand. They therefore cost a similar amount and also produce far more packaging.
Even on my budget (which, since I'm on income support, is currently around £55 a week after rent) I can afford to buy Ecover, so its a genuine puzzle to me how people with good jobs/more money can't! Sorry, that became a slight rant-ette!

But I did remember another naughty thing while I was out today.
Disposable razors! I use the Mach Turbo triple blade nonsense, so its just the heads that are disposable, but still not great (I use oils as lubricants rather than shaving foam). I'm looking out for a cut-throat though!
Harm None!

ina

ocailleagh wrote: Lush is not exactly eco-friendly anyway, just like the Body Shop its all PR. All synthetic scents and SLS. They do use plant based products too, but judging by the headaches I get from just walking past there, not enough!
I have to cross the street whenever I get near the Lush shop in Aberdeen - I think the stuff is vile! How can they call themselves green in any way? No natural scent is like that! :pale:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

ina wrote:
ocailleagh wrote: Lush is not exactly eco-friendly anyway, just like the Body Shop its all PR. All synthetic scents and SLS. They do use plant based products too, but judging by the headaches I get from just walking past there, not enough!
I have to cross the street whenever I get near the Lush shop in Aberdeen - I think the stuff is vile! How can they call themselves green in any way? No natural scent is like that! :pale:
Glad its not just me ina, some of my friends think I'm crazy for even suggesting the awfulness of Lush!
Harm None!

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ah, I'm afraid I do like Lush.

I'm sure they're not as eco-friendly as they seem, but at the same time they at least use reusable packaging and some of their stuff is more eco-friendly than others... I'm sure using the essential-oil based perfume they do is better than the chemical ones, for example.

But no, I'm sure they aren't angels, and the stores are a little overpowering, but I still like alot of their stuff, and haven't found a good substitute elsewhere (though my mum's a soapmaker and I'm trying to persuade her to imitate some of my favourites for me) :flower:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

marshlander

Annpan wrote:I do loads of stuff that I perhaps "shouldn't" but have decided that I refuse to feel guilty for the things I can't do and just feel proud about what I can do...
Like most of the replies there's a few things that, to be a purist, I could cut out.

I do use kitchen towel - ecoleaf - even the wrappwer is compostable

I do use the tumble drier when it rains for days but we have to have clean dry towells for our guests!

I won't list any more but....

I suppose my 'sin' is cut flowers. I try to have flowers in the garden I can cut but regularly buy flowers for the house, especially when guests are expected. I was shocked today when chatting to the florist. I commented on the flowers coming from Holland and she contradicted me: Columbia nowadays she said :shock: and If I order by 3 pm I can have them in 48hrs! :oops: Oh dear, more air miles.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm quite naughty...

I LOVE Lush.
I also watch TV and surf the net at the same time

I have a habit of getting a lift to work because its a walk at the end, and its muddy!!

I haven't had my bike out for years...

I smoke too

Sometimes, after i've dyed my hair (usually vegetable dyes with reusable pots...) i'll use bleach to clean the bath. In my defence, if i didn't, there'd be another less humane funeral to arrange when my dad saw it!

ina

marshlander wrote: I was shocked today when chatting to the florist. I commented on the flowers coming from Holland and she contradicted me: Columbia nowadays she said :shock: and If I order by 3 pm I can have them in 48hrs! :oops: Oh dear, more air miles.
For quite a while Holland has basically been just the European market for them; cost of labour is far too high in Europe. And the European Health and Safety restrictions are another factor that would make them too expensive.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

ocailleagh wrote: I don't understand when people say they can't afford to buy green cleaning products (I'm not singling you out Flo, you just made me think of it is all). Most of the Ecover range in my local T*sc* is, on average, around the same price as the leading non-green brands, sometimes cheaper, and often lasts far longer and cleans just as well (IMO) though you may sometimes require a boost from a little bicarb or elbow grease.

Even on my budget (which, since I'm on income support, is currently around £55 a week after rent) I can afford to buy Ecover, so its a genuine puzzle to me how people with good jobs/more money can't! Sorry, that became a slight rant-ette!
ocailleagh I shall have to go round and do some pricing up again when the present supplies of cleaning products run out. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places or not really comparing properly.

Next month will make interesting shopping then. Thank you for the comments - I like someone who gives me another point of view as it reminds me that I'm not always right :thumbright:

hamster

You could also bulk-buy white vinegar, bicarb and the like and clean with those. They are cheap and just as effective I find. There's a site I buy them from and a page with tips and hints I use that I'll dig out this evening when I get back from propping up our unsustainable consumer economy for the day.
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

hedgewitch

I LOVE Lush (I get 50% discount too)

Out of most products out there they ARE the better more eco friendly natural option AND they do not test on animals. I only buy their vegan products and I know for a fact that they are vegan.

THEY ROCK!!

:flower:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

ocailleagh wrote:I don't understand when people say they can't afford to buy green cleaning products
I second that - we recently converted to Ecover on the understanding that 'if we have to pay a little bit more, then we'll put up with it' but on investigation - we discovered it was pretty much the same.

We do use white vinegar (bulk bought from our local greengrocer) in place of fabric softener on our cottons and when I'm doing a 'proper' clean I also get the bicarb of soda and the lemons out.
ocailleagh wrote:Lush is not exactly eco-friendly anyway, just like the Body Shop its all PR.
I was very disappointed when I looked at the ingredients of these products too. I much prefer 'Green People' - these are slightly more expensive but are highly concentrated so last ages. They don't contain any SLS/SLES and are certified organic so I feel clean inside as well as out. No leeching of nasty chemicals into my body! :thumbleft:
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Where do I start!

1. I sometimes thrown away re-cycleable stuff rather than go and empty the bins. (must stop doing this and find the time)

2. I love my classic car! (Sorry its staying!)

3. We use too many plastic bags!

4. We use too much electricty (Computers and games consoles)

5. I should work closer to home! (50 mile round trip)

6. We drink red wine from all over the world (When it is made locally to the same quality for £4-5 a bottle I will change this habbit)

We do try our best in other ways but do need to do more. I promise to solve 1,3,4 and 5. 2 and 6 not happening! :lol: