Have just discovered SelfSufficientish and love it!

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
sunpuppy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Have just discovered SelfSufficientish and love it!

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself - I found this site through www.downthelane.net and love it for it's "down-to-earthness!".

At the moment, I have a massive garden which I am too scared to grow anything in, mainly because the property we're living in is a very temporary arrangement (it's due to be demolished and redeveloped by it's owner, who has kindly said we can live there cheaply until the planning permission comes through). It's such a shame as the house and garden are lovely as they are, and he wants to build expensive flats on it, with postage stamp gardens. Still, can't complain - he's doing us a favour (but it's very frustrating not being able to invest time and effort in the garden!)

Guess I'll just have to grow stuff in transportable containers then.... :geek:

skerby
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

:cheers: Hello sun puppy, welcome aboard bit cheeky of me really as i myself am only new to this site. But i can assure you that youll receive some good banta, have already implemented afew suggestions that were thrown my way and come sunday brunch :drunken: shall tell you all how my first atempt of bottlin blackberry jam went. Myself I fell on links to this site through chasing "vacola" info.
Your Gardens sounds wonderful if you could get your hands on it ,for me I am doomed to plants in pots due to limited space and a rental agreement. None the less potatoes in converted wheelbarrows strawberries in the old tyres and chillies in old milk pales yes the big ones adorn my balcony. At least in Aussie you can count on the balcony being the length of your abode...so cheers sun puppy there is fun to be had gardenin in pots :flower:
little house on the prairie

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

What a lovely title to this string :wink:

How long have you got left in the house? What you could think about doing is growing fast crops like radishes. Sowing time to eating time is about 6-8 weeks. Mind you as I was out earlier a snow flake landed on my nose to I suspect that it might be a bit too cold for that.

Might be an idea to get a herb box on the go, I gave one to my mate for his 21st birthday almost a year ago now and it is still very much in use. It has amongst other herbs a small rosemary bush, coriander and chives. I bought some baby beetroot and some cherry tomatoes the other day purely for planting in containers. It sounds like you may have to move around a bit soon so I would agree that container growing is the way forward.

Sounds like we will all be asking skerby for advice on container growing :wink:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

sunpuppy
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm not sure how long we've got left, but heard yesterday that the latest planning application got turned down within a week of being sent to the planning office. (Sounds like the neighbours aren't too happy with his ideas!).

I don't know what that means for us, because he may just give up the ghost and try to sell the house as it is, which means we'll probably be kicked out within a month or so (would love to buy it but as it cost him 3/4 of a mill. to buy, shouldn't think my pittance of a wage will stretch to it! :(

Anyway, I think I'll take your advice and grow some herbs and tomatoes. Am also thinking of getting an allotment close by but might wait until I know where I'm going to be first. Had one in another area last year and got v. excited harvesting my potatoes (like finding treasure!) and rhubarb.

There's nothing like growing yer own....... :bom:

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

hello sunpuppy, I am sure wil love the site. I am new to the site and to having an allotment and the folk on this site have been so welcoming and free with their advice. I've asked lots of questions which I'm sure were daft to many people but I've always received helpful tips and ideas.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Sunpuppy and welcome, there are a good lot of people attached to the site and forum, I love it here and i hope that you will too :cheers:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

sunpuppy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming!

Looking forward to long and fruitful (s'cuse the pun!) discussions on all things selfsufficientish.... :bom:

Eek! Have just looked out of the window and it's blinkin' snowing! And there was me thinking that spring was just around the corner...

jema
Tom Good
Tom Good

And another belated welcome :)