WANTED :-}

Not the 1970s UK TV programme, but a free place for people to swap, give away or sell anything from seeds to tractors. Anything illegal or immoral will be deleted.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I prefer courgettes to marrows, much more versitile the courgette raw in a salad is nice.

I think you are right Nev zuccini's and courgettes/marrows are the same thing. A courgette is a baby marrow and over there don't you call both marrow's and courgettes zuccini's?

Here is a good recipe for them........
and an article about them http://www.selfsufficientish.com/marrow.htm

Courgette, Tomato and Basil Tart

Serves 2-3

Ingredients

weights and measures conversion chart

125g (4.5oz) ready-made shortcrust pastry
1 courgettes, sliced diagonally
half tbsp olive oil
150g (6oz) cooked new potatoes, sliced
250g (9oz) tomatoes, sliced
50g (2oz) gruyère cheese, grated
handful of basil leaves
2 eggs
100ml (3.5fl oz) crème fraîche
75ml (1/8pt) milk
2tbsp grated parmesan

Method

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Roll out the pastry to a 30cm (12in) round and use it to line a 20-23cm (8-9in) deepish loose-based tart tin.
Allow the pastry to hang over the edge of the tin and only trim if it overhangs the tin too much. If you have the time, chill the pastry for 20 minutes.
Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes until the pastry is pale golden. Reduce the temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Lightly brush the courgette slices with oil and season. Griddle or fry in a non-stick frying pan until lightly browned on each side.
Remove from the pan to cool. Layer half the potatoes, courgettes and tomatoes in the pastry case, season between layers and sprinkle a little gruyère and a few basil leaves. Repeat, finishing with a layer of tomatoes.
Beat together the eggs, crème fraîche and milk. Season, then stir in the remaining gruyère and half the parmesan.
Pour this over the filling and sprinkle with the rest of the parmesan.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch. Scatter with the remaining basil. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, mate, I thought that was the go, but with Gill asking for marrow seeds I thought that maybe there was something different there.

In the US the pumpkins they grow are different to here in Aus and the Queensland Blue pumpkin has been taking off over there in some areas as an eating pumpkin rather than stock food. I thopught that maybe there was something like that going on here! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

catalyst
Living the good life
Living the good life

yes, but marrows keep through the winter
unfortunately if you leave your courgettes to grow into marrows, they stop producing new fruit

gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

a marrow stuffed with fish and sweetcorn in a strong cheese sauce is nice thank goodness for cocktail sticks !!!!!!!!!