Leaf mould

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Cabbages
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Leaf mould

Hi, I have been a member of this forum since it started. My username was diver, but I seem to have lost everything so have rejoined.
So, I am making leaf mould. My leaf mould cage still has last year’s leaves in it half rotted.
I want to put this year’s in bin bags. All the advice says “black” bags. I have white ones. Will they do, or does darkness,ie black make a difference.
My cage is open to the elements so I can’t see why the bag has to be any particular colour.
Thanks.

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Leaf mould

I had mine in black bags for 2 years and they didn't decompose, but the pile by the fence that's been open to the elements since last autumn has started rotting down well, so I added the 2 yo contents of the black bags to that, i'm not convinced plastic bags are required at all...

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

It takes a couple of years for leaves to rot down so the fact that people have some from last year still in process is quite normal. I'm not convinced that the colour of bags matter at all as I have worked with green ones. However, if you can acquire free a large builder's dumpy bag that is open to the elements that's ideal. Usually it's quite easy to obtain these. I find that being open to the elements does speed things up a little. Hope that helps.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I agree with Flo. If you're going to use plastic bags I'd poke a few holes to allow a bit of airflow and water to get in and out.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo

I've been known to take the garden fork to the bags to punch those holes. One stab works wonders.

RenewableCandy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 54

Black bags with fork-holes work well but take 3-4 years (well, ours did) to make marvellous mould. I don't know whether sun or shade makes a difference - black bags would heat up in the sun & might speed the process.

This year's lot are in blue bags. Will report back in 3 years' time :)
Fantasy novel 'The Price of Time'

Soyez réaliste: demandez l'impossible :sunny:

Website - Blog - Stories