... make seitan that is dense and chewy?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
sususanan

... make seitan that is dense and chewy?

I made some for the first time recently (if you're ever tempted to use wholewheat, make sure you sift out the bran!), but the end result was spongy, though not doughy as the starched gets washed out.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: ... make seitan that is dense and chewy?

It's a lot easier to make from vital wheat gluten, sususananan. You just mix it with your other ingredients and steam or bake it. What you add to it dictates the texture, higher percentage of gluten makes it denser.

I have several recipes if you're interested.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

sususanan

Thanks - I'm not particular about recipes. It was just so easy to make the seitan generally, I had to have a go! The sponginess might not have been that much of a problem if it hadn't been for the bran, which was very bad in that context, making it very gritty, but I do think I would still prefer a firmer texture so, I will look up the vital wheat gluten.

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Using wheat gluten makes for a great seitan. I generally add some soy sauce and miso to the liquid and perhaps some nutritional yeast to the herbs and spices I use to flavor the seitan.