propagate wild roses?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

propagate wild roses?

OK, maybe they won't be strictly 'wild' if I've grown them on purpose, but having found precious few rose hips in my recent searches, I'd like to grow some myself. I found a few, so I've got some seeds, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to grow them. Should I take cuttings instead? If I can grow from seed, what should I do - will just chucking them on the ground be enough?

I have some from large-ish hips that I'm hoping are rosa canina or something similar, and some which are almost certainly rosa rugosa. I'm not too keen on the flowers of the latter (I don't like that shade of pink), but you can't argue with the size of the fruit.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: propagate wild roses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBq_PSg3vHc

try some cuttings, and some layers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c56vEgA4fjU

Also rugosa comes in white (alba)
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would try and strike some cuttings and also sow some seeds as well. The seeds can be tricky to germinate, but if you cut up the pods and put them into water to go soggy and them rub them in some mesh, it may imitate going through a bird, then pot them up and put them outside. If we don't get a very cold winter, you could pop the pots into the fridge for a few months and then bring them back out in the spring

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

A quick text to a friend,grower of hedging, reveals (presuming you're talking Common Dog Rose) clean the seed ,rinse and dry,then stratify .He says easy!..I reckon,hardwood cuttings myself,but what do I know?

Edit: I've just realised that I've parroted DND above..sorry I'm half asleep.

ina

This is strange - but just this year I picked up a hip from a wild rose that I liked, and intend to try germinating the seeds! So thanks for all the tips. One wild rose came up by itself on the fence line, and I've been supporting and pruning it all the years I've lived here. (Left to itself, the council would just kill it off, because it's on the border to the communal bit of grass... They may still do it, of course. They don't like plants that they haven't planted themselves. :roll: )
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Um, thanks Doofa, I think. I have seen rosa rugosa alba for sale, but that involves spending money.

Dnd, OJ, thanks - very helpful. I'll try that, as I have the seed. Cuttings take a little more effort, as I have to go out and find the plants again, but I might give that a go as well.

While we're at it, would a similar treatment be good for crab apples?

I've taken out a leylandii hedge and I'm planning to replace it with a native, productive hedge. I bought three sweet chestnut trees (yes, I know they're not hedging plants, but I love the nuts) but apart from that, I'm trying not to spend money. So far I have elder cuttings, taken last year. I'd like blackthorn, but the bits (runners? Bits that had struck off on their own from a bigger plant. They had roots that were a lot of work to dig up) that I stuck in last year have died (not enough TLC in dry weather). I'll get hazel and blackberry whether I like it or not. I think I may have a couple of rowan trees in there, too. I'd like crab apple and dog rose - what else have I missed?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holly is always nice in a native hedge, gives a bit of winter interest, copper and ordinary beech, the leaves stay on for the winter and look very pretty. If you go on Freecycle, I bet loads of people would have small self seeded things they would give you,

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Black thorn come well from sloes( stratifed).I''d add Holly,(HW cuttings),Guelder Rose (Viburnum Lantana,thrushes etc. love them,HW cuttings),Bit of beech,(ditto),Elder (ditto) Common Privet (ditto) maybe a bit of dogwood.

There's another bonus to doing it your way,other than just cost.I't's been suggested,and now I think it's definite,that especially native species have significant variations from place to place,which means that by buying in matierial from a distance may well adversely effect the local systems,so good on you.

You know this,but someone picking up on this might not,the old leylandii will have starved your hedge line of water and fertility,so best take out a trench and backfill with 'good stuff' then plant in this.It'll also make a great place to root hardwood cuttings in situ,as it were.

doofaloofa

i like myrobalan for a wild fruit hedge, also cornelian cherry (early flowers)

if you know anyone with rugosa alba try and get an offset (though not as vigourous as the damask, they are prolific enough)
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln