Store Bales of Straw and hay?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Store Bales of Straw and hay?

Hi lovely people

My ever expanding collection of Goats/rabbits have required me to buy a large number of Straw and hay bales. I've enough physical space on my land to keep them but my question is what is the best way to keep them fresh/dry? Should I put them under tarpaulins individually or as a group? I'm in hungary so it doesn't rain as frequently as the UK but it isn't a desert. Do people have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Andy

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Store Bales of Straw and hay?

Anything that keeps rain off the top and a little air circulation through the sides would work, so a tarpaulin should work fine, I would have thought. You often see them in large barns, with or without sides, stacked almost to the roof.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Any suggestions on how to keep a tarp on them? My attempts using rivoted tarps have resulted in large tears

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Weigh it down with old tyres? Or tie heavy articles (plastic containers filled with water, for example, or bags with sand) to the corners.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

I might be stating the b------g obvious,but seeing as you need them off the ground,and the best way to do that is to use pallets,Tarp the top,and (say)halfway down the sides,then secure the tarp to the pallets with hospital corners.