make my own grow bags

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
maisieandgrace
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

make my own grow bags

I need some more grow bags.I have some thick large plastic sacks, courtesy of the dog food, and some reasonable compost in the bins. Any ideas on how I can reseal the end of the sack securely, and should I add anything to the compost?Thanks

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: make my own grow bags

Personally, I would prefer to have depth, so I would use the sacks standing up, they dry out much more slowly, you can still plant a lot of stuff in there. If you have home made compost, you could add some chicken pellet manure to the mix, chopped comfrey, but if you want to seal the end, you could staple it up well

maisieandgrace
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: make my own grow bags

Thank you.It would make far more sense to use the bags on their end as you suggested, and would mean I could fit them in in various spaces around the borders.Can't think why it didn't occur to me before....sometimes its just hard to think outside the box lol