Garlic candles for conservatory How?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Sadoldhippy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Garlic candles for conservatory How?

Hi All
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using a garlic candle for fumigation of a greenhouse or conservatory. I am currently using my conservatory to bring stuff on before planting out and for growing apples and pears (in tubs). Unfortunately for the last couple of years I have been getting infestations of blackfly and spider-mites. I have tried ladybird larvae but they tend to go dormant for the winter in the autumn and the pests go wild (I live in Shetland so day length or temperature at this time of year may play a part in this). I have heard of using garlic candles to fumigate the conservatory and as I make candles with rapeseed wax I am keen to try making some but I have no idea as to when to use or how long or how strong etc. Does anbody have any experience or knowledge?
Cheers
My blog: http://environmentchaos.blogspot.co.uk
Comments appreciated :-)

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garlic candles for conservatory How?

I'd imagine it's a case of mixing garlic oil with the wax.

Not sure about concentrations. might be a trial and error thing. Please report back anything you find out though!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'm guessing it's the sulphur in the garlic that does the trick. My Dad used to use it to fumigate his greenhouse once a year. It stank, but then so will garlic. :iconbiggrin:

Would garlic powder work, do you think. It would certainly be easier to blend into your candle wax.

Before making a batch of them I'd be tempted to melt a tea light and try it out - they're really easy to disassemble. And may be sufficient for the task.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Sadoldhippy

Thanks folks
My blog: http://environmentchaos.blogspot.co.uk
Comments appreciated :-)

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

spider mites like hot dry conditions, if you mist spray some water around, this will help keep a more moist environment, don't think garlic would help with insect pests as it is the sulphur in the garlic that fights against moulds and mildews, extra moisture may even help keep down the blackfly as they do seem more prevalent in hotter conditions, maybe if you have a radiator on in there you could put a tub of water near it to humidify the air