Make a bread oven off the ground?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Make a bread oven off the ground?

Ah maybe I misunderstood the rules . I was going with millymollymandys post in the introduce section that said to reduce spammers no signatures or links till 25 posts.

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

A traditional way of making a smallish clay oven, was to weave a rough dome out of willow and lay your clay mix over this. When you fire your oven the willow will burn away but the clay will remain.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes I've looked at that idea too and may very well go with that method. I always find it pleasing to bend a hazel or willow stick only to find it forms the ideal shape for an oven, almost enough to make me think something is actually guiding this universe :icon_smile:

Pete

Niele da Kine
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 21.27
longitude: 157.82

We have a fellow with a portable bread oven who sells bread at the local farmer's market. He makes one or two batches of bread while at the farmer's market but the majority of the bread he sells was made before he got to the market. I'm suspecting it was made in a more traditional oven as well, but it is still tasty stuff and the wood fired portable oven he brings makes delicious aromas. His oven is huge, though, and is mounted on a truck frame and pulled behind his truck.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Guys.

Skippy - who do you re-enact with?

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm with the Wars of the Roses Federation and to be more accurate the Ferrers Household , you can find us on facebook.
I originally started at the other end of the fifteenth century but migrated slightly later but oddly enough English Heritage asked the fed to put on the seige of Harfleur and Agincourt at Kelmarsh a couple of years ago.
If I recall I think the pictures I posted come from an event centered around Gloucester cathedral.

Pete

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ooh nice. I'm with the MSS. We went to Kelmarsh this year...and swam to the camp :lol:

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

We were relatively lucky as we on a small rise in the ground near the bottom end of the field close to the bridge to the plastic camp but still awoke to find water on most sides. We stayed until sunday but still ended up getting towed off. I think there was a picture on livinghistory of a tractor pulling a 4x4 with a horsebox towing a sportscar, that was one of our members , Paul. On saturaday I made his daughter a boat (well a boat shaped log with a mast and flag) which she sailed in the new rivers and lakes on the site and promptly got soaked too but at least she enjoyed herself.

Pete

becks77

Hi Fee
what about Dutch oven suspended above raised fire pit on a tripod?
Just a thought, might be easier to transport too
Becks
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"