rotary line or washing line?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
crazymaisey
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

rotary line or washing line?

I'm trying to stop using the dryer (which is going to be tough considering I have 5 kids, but I digress) I have a long washing line that runs all the way down my garden, but I want to plant some fruit trees so was thinking about taking it down and getting one of those rotary thingsies to make more space. Are they any good, or should I stick with the line?

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: rotary line or washing line?

Stick with the line and plant the fruit bushes / trees. It will be a long while before they snag I guess and when they do then move the pole. We had a rotary and it wasn't good for heavy use.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I have a rotary line which is brilliant. It takes much more washing than a single line, for the amount of space it takes up. Mine is fixed but many of them can be removed when not in use.

If you do get one, buy a good quality, sturdy one. The cheap, flimsy ones fall apart quickly.
Zoe

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I plan on putting in a rotary line.... but yes get a heavy one, with 4 bars (some have only 3) you can fit more on it and it is quicker to hang out and bring in the washing.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Thomzo

You can even get covers for some of them so that you can put the washing out when the weather's a bit iffy.

Zoe

SouthernDave

Rotary line. Get a Brabiantina or similar high end make, it will last years and take loads (no pun) of washing. Put proper sockets in concrete for it, if you have room, more than one then you can move it with the sun if shade is a problem.

See my new thread in this section for another recommendation.......

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

My Brabantia one bent in high winds, so we replaced it with a Hill's dryer and it's fantastic, guaranteed for about 20 years. It's a really solid tube and arms - the one weak point is the plastic clip which holds the arms up. Ours snapped recently after sudden high winds caught us out (we'd forgotten to lower the arms).
OH rang the company (handily displayed on the main tube) and we received a replacement the next day - completely free!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

SouthernDave

Green Aura wrote:My Brabantia one bent in high winds
That's what you get for living in a country where even the cattle wear coats!! :tongue3:

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

oddly, we have a rotary, three arm, cheapie, had it for nearly twenty years, four of us here for the first ten, the ground sheath's bent over slightly due to wobbly concreting-in. I've re-strung it twice.
Not sure how much longer it will last but still there today with a load of bedding and towels

If I'd had the room I'd have preferred a line, or one of those on a pulley but the original pole for a pulley line has gone from my back yard :humph:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

pelmetman

We have had both over the years and would much prefer a long line any day of the week, washing dries much quicker. Found that clothes on rotary type that are pegged in middle take much longer to dry and was always moving stuff around. Never found one that would take large sheets fully extended either.

We are lucky where we live we have a secret yard that is not evident from main garden where the sheds, workshop etc is. This is where we have 7 long washing lines, so no one can see my big bloomers :lol: :lol:

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have the most expensive washing line in the world! Take two bits of 2 x 4 (left over from wheelhouse), attach to stanchions on boat, add washing line (found in shed) and add pegs (also found in shed) so where is the cost you ask? £350 for the drill that OH dropped overboard and straight in to the deep wet mud whilst putting up the washing line! His language was rather choice!!!
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com

pelmetman

Oh dear Fran :shock: Lost track of things that went overboard.

We lived on a boat for a couple of years at Camper & Nicholson Marina in Hampshire. Wasn't allowed to hang washing out at all :dontknow: It had to be one of the snobbiest places on earth.

Later we had a sailing boat that we kept down at Brightlingsea, don't suppose that is where you are by any chance?

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

Pelmetman - Brightlingsea is just up the coast from us - with Mersea Island in between. We often sail up there and stay on a mooring in Pyefleet (don't like paying money on the pontoons!) The flats opposite us do moan about the washing (and smoke from the woodburning chimney) but tough!
Crazymaisy - I miss my rotary line, you can get a lot more washing on it. Also you can flat dry big items (such as hubby's work dust sheets, sleeping bags etc) by hanging them over the whole thing.
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com

Thomzo

On a sunny day, you can pop a sheet over a rotary washing line and call it a parasol.

Zoe

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thomzo wrote:On a sunny day, you can pop a sheet over a rotary washing line and call it a parasol.

Zoe
:lol: :lol: now theres an idea
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.