Keeping celery fresh?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
surlymonkey
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Keeping celery fresh?

Hi folks.

I love celery, what's more, I love fresh celery.

So, how do you keep yours from wilting? (oh er missus!)

sarahturner
latitude: 53.7333
longitude: -2.4000

Re: Keeping celery fresh?

I just keep it in the bottom of the salad drawer in the fridge and it keeps great. :mrgreen:

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

Wrap it in foil and keep it in the fridge.

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

And don't forget (I know you're talking about fresh surlymonkey :hugish: ) you can chop it up and freeze it. I'm not keen on fresh celery myself but I quite like it chopped small in lightly-cooked dishes. It adds a 'something'.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

you can stand it in iced water........ helps revive it.....

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I keep mine in a vase of water on the window ledge (I do the same with leeks).... makes for a strange flower display but keeps them fresh :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Greenorelse is right - celery adds a certain something. OH is on a low-salt diet (in fact, zero added salt) and I started some years ago to add finely-chopped celery to everything (well, apart from sweets, which I don't make anyway) - it really can replace salt as a flavour enhancer. So to the point - the celery nowadays stays fresher much longer. I chop off a bit for whatever I'm making, stick it back in the veg drawer at the bottom of the fridge, and every time I go back it's actually grown a small amount of fresh leaf. I'm sure that the secret is that we have let it be known that we're not going to eat it all - just a little bit. It's always as crisp as new.

So con your celery. That's the way to do it.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

To you guys and girls who like celery to add something to soups and stews etc...... have you ever tried Lovage?

I discovered it a few years ago and it has an intense celery taste, and the leaves and seeds can be dried for winter use. It's perennial too so always plenty next year!
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thats interesting to know Daviie C.

does it add the "saltiness" too ?

tried to grow some last year. unsuccessfully. must try again!

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Lovage does give a slight saltiness too, especially the seeds. They're great as an ingredient in wholemeal bread!
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

have to try that too then with the seds :iconbiggrin: Thanks

Millymollymandy

Beware it is VERY strong and you only need one or two leaves. I can't bear the smell/taste of it (although I love celery) so I have finally managed to eradicate it from my garden!

I wish you guys would pass on your keeping celery fresh ideas to French supermarkets - quite rare to find celery here and only in the winter months, even rarer to find it not droopy and then to find one which isn't hollow and floury and bitter is nigh on impossible. :( For the first time ever last week Lidl had some in a packet, of the white cut like in England kind, and it was ALL edible and crispy and amazing. :shock: :shock: :shock: But they didn't have any yesterday. :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Davie Crockett wrote:To you guys and girls who like celery to add something to soups and stews etc...... have you ever tried Lovage?
Yes, we have lovage growing here and I prefer the taste to celery; potato and lovage soup is actually one of my favourites and salt is not needed, unless you like it really salty! Lovage is strong enough, it don't need no salt.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

surlymonkey

Thanks all for tips on keeping celery, and mentioning Lovage (something I've never heard of, but would like to try).

I liked Annpan's idea of putting them into a pot of water, so will give that a try. Cheers me dear!

Tony.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Millymollymandy wrote:-/- I wish you guys would pass on your keeping celery fresh ideas to French supermarkets - quite rare to find celery here and only in the winter months, even rarer to find it not droopy and then to find one which isn't hollow and floury and bitter is nigh on impossible. :( For the first time ever last week Lidl had some in a packet, of the white cut like in England kind, and it was ALL edible and crispy and amazing. :shock: :shock: :shock: But they didn't have any yesterday. :(
I read somewhere that the celery grown in France was not blanched and so stays bitter.
I've bought droopy celery from the chaeap end of the day at the greengrocer's, sliced a little from the base and then popped it in a glass of water, it perked up no end. I'll use the 'vase' method (as Annpan) so long as it's not too warm in the kitchen, otherwise rinse it and pop it in the salad drawer of the fridge.
i use it in soups, stews, casseroles etc, equally I'll use celeriac when it's available
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: