SUMA ordering - anyone ?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

SUMA ordering - anyone ?

I have been in a wholefood co-op for a while, but it has recently folded and our local group is considering carrying on without the umbrella group...

Has anyone had experience of ordering [and deliveries] directly from Suma ? I have heard their delivery schedule is a little hit and miss and as I work most of the day [Teacher] it could be an issue, but their site looks much easier to use than our co-op site, so tempted to go direct to them.

Anyone got any comments ?

Thanks
Sarah :flower:

dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: SUMA ordering - anyone ?

Good lord - are they still going? ... last came across them in the mid 80s... from Leeds aren't they?

Jerseymum
Tom Good
Tom Good

Have ordered direct in the past and the order arrives just like an order from Amazon: if I'm in I get it, if I'm out it gets left with a nominated neighbour. Easy enough, but I can see it being an issue if you are out all day teaching. From a quick glance at their webpage, if you have a wholesale trade account, you could easily run a co-operative.
Sarah
How do you live your life when there's nobody watching?

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

They are indeed going strong dave45; a fine example of co-operation.

A weird problem for us, in dealing with Suma, on this part of this island is that certain items are not shipped here due to carrier restrictions (just the retail division - no problem if you're buying wholesale).

For instance they don't want to ship liquids here, a reason given being a high level of breakages. Fair enough, though they ship liquids to the north of this island...

But that means they won't even ship the 5 litre tin of olive oil. :scratch: I thought when I first saw the product, "Great - less as well as much lighter packaging and way less chance of breakage" but no, logic need not apply.

An example of the EU still being me-you.

Apart from niggles like that, Suma is a venture well worth supporting whenever possible.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

MandyWB
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We regularly order from SUMA wholesale (every 2 months) and have never had a problem with the deliveries. They are always very friendly and will give you the mobile number of the driver who is delivering to you. I usually ring up the driver on the morning of the delivery and get a more acurate time for delivery so I can plan my day around it.

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

They are very good in my personal experience. Friendly with no problems with the delivery, though I often work from home, so this helps.
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

grahamhobbs

Have they changed their policy regarding the minimum order? When they put it up to £200, even though we went and collected our order from the lorry when it was parked up for the night, we had to stop.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

think it is £25o. I order in a group with some friends, it is a bit of a drag lokistically, but worth it. Wish I could be home for deliveries, that is our biggest issue
Sarah :flower: