forching a cold wash in clothes washer (possible?)

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
anninireland
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

forching a cold wash in clothes washer (possible?)

Hi there,
I need some help from any clever diy-ers out there. :wave:
I live in a flat and the clothes washer has only 40, 60, 90 degree wash cycle choices. I want to be able to wash in cold water, but the machine doesn't offer the choice.
Is there a way to get the machine to do this? It's my understanding that the water is heated within the machine, so can I disable the heater somehow?
Any ideas?
Thanks! :sunny:
Ann

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: forching a cold wash in clothes washer (possible?)

Sorry, can't really help.
But I don't think just disconnecting the heater element would work as I would expect there is a thermostat in there somewhere to "tell" the machine when it's at the selected temperature.
If that's the case, it will just sit there waiting (forever) to reach it's working temperature.

Welcome to 'ish by the way. :wave:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Possible with an old style twin tub though if I recall .(any one under 70 refer to thickypaedia).

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

That is so annoying anninireland. Grrrr. Does it have a delicates wash? That's often the coolest.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Jacqui S
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

How about experimenting with using only the rinse and/or prewash cycles, if the machine will let you?

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

depending on the machine some machines have a hot and acold water feed so rather than heating the water to the required temp it takes your loverly hot water you have payed a foutune to heat and adds cold water to it to reduce the temp :? :dontknow: . i believe with this sort of machine turning the hot feed of makes it work with cold water only but you may need to click it through the cycles manualy (this type of machine tends to be of the older type but not quite twin tub age :lol: )
try hard mean well and never give up