Tactfuly tell a friend something?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Re: Tactfuly tell a friend something?

Hinting is not a good communication strategy. It requires mind reading, something that most people are not good at. There are two ways forward: keep accepting scented cakes and somehow dispose of them safely, or tell her that there is a problem.

Keaniebean
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have to say that If it were me I would just keep accepting them and keep your chickens happy. It seems so rare that people are considerate towards others anymore, I wouldn't want to risk upsetting the status quo.
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

I'm very impressed by all you people! What a nice bunch you are, an example to the wider world.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Berti wrote:well that will soon be real fat chickens then !!!
Yes or garden birds.

This problem is a hard one, but i think the only way is by being honest,problem is you just know it'll hurt her feelings, unless that Rhino hind really is that thick. Good luck!
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

Milims

I've gone on a diet and am encouraging her the same way! :wink: That's not as bad as it sounds - she needs to lose weight for health reasons.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sorry to hear this, I have similar problems with my mum, mother in law and step mother in law so can sympathise.
I think Keith has told us how it is ...
KeithBC wrote:Hinting is not a good communication strategy. It requires mind reading, something that most people are not good at. There are two ways forward: keep accepting scented cakes and somehow dispose of them safely, or tell her that there is a problem.
I accept and dispose with my step MIL as she would throw a wobbler and be horrible (though to be fair she does this a lot anyway :roll: ), hubby has talked to his mum about it but she just gets upset then carries on regardless. With my mum, I can't bear to tell her so alternate between awkwardly refusing things wiathout giving a reason and accepting and disposing!

With mum and MIL they smoke too so it's not just cakes, but magazines and anything they pass on to us. Eek! I think I'll just pretend it's not happening, there are bigger fish to fry. they never will 'get it' as they are acclimatised. Good luck :sunny:

Susie

I'm just amazed that air fresheners are so strong they make your cakes scented! That can't be good for the people living with the air fresheners!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Milims

Susie - a wee while ago I went to a ladys house to pick up a dishwasher from freecycle. She had such a strong airfreshener it took my breath away and even when |got it home the dishwasher smelled of airfreshener. Yesterday she came to the shop where I work and she smelled very stongly of the air freshener. :shock: Scary!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

pelmetman

We both hate air freshners and stopped buying them years ago. For one thing can't stand the smell of them and surely if the house is kept clean and windows/doors opened to let fresh air in there should be no need for them.

Am surprised at the number of houses we go in where people actually use the battery operated ones that let off puffs of the foul smelling stuff at set times.

I also worry what it is doing to their health. Give me good old fashioned fresh air.

Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Millymollymandy

I used to use them when I smoked inside which must have been double yuck for anyone coming to my house! :lol: Nowadays they are all banned but I can't decide which smells worse, pooey smell in the toilet or spray air freshener. Both are gross. :?
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't think there's a nice way of telling her. Lets hope she never comes across this forum. I once made some bread using some flour that had been sat next to a box of washing powder in the kitchen only for a few weeks. The bread was inedible because it tasted like surf. Yuk
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I can't have them in my house as I'm allergic to perfume. Despite all my friends knowing this, I still have to take antihistamines just to go to their houses because of their air-freshners. It's the same with their cars.

Zoe

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I can't have them in my house as I'm allergic to perfume. Despite all my friends knowing this, I still have to take antihistamines just to go to their houses because of their air-freshners. It's the same with their cars.

Zoe

wildbee
Tom Good
Tom Good

Just be nice, say you don't want to hurt her feelings and you really appreciate her baking gifts but there's something you really have to tell her ...

She obviously enjoys baking things for other people, perhaps not using the tumble dryer at the same time would make a big difference? If you didn't like certain ingredients like lemon or chocolate etc wouldn't she accommodate those preferences?

I once baked some horrible fairycakes and no-one said anything, then when I ate one I was really embarrassed and people still insisted they were great! She probably won't be able to taste the perfume because she'll be used to it but what if she found out you didn't like them some other way?

Gooduck I'm sure you'll work it out and still be friends.

Now I need to take my own advice and tell my family that I'm not eating margarine, processed vegetable oils, sugar, pasteurised milk or tap water :shock: