survive?!?!?!

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: survive?!?!?!

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:07 pm

See about a wood burner? They really help save the pennies if you can't face those heating bills.
Homebrew is good for saving money, if you enjoy the odd tiple.
Sell unwanted items on flea bay.
Keep a detailed record of what you are spending, and budget for major purchases ( have tried that this year, didn't work out as the "polly tunnel" fund has just gone on new carpet and blackout blinds to keep the house warm in the winter)
Enjoy it, remember its your choice to live this life style, and that its one thats right for you, don't feel skint and fed up........... Wishes I could do it.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Ellendra

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm on a wilderness survival forum whose members might have suggestions, many of them have firsthand experience in exactly that situation. Some have even gone a year or more with no house or "accoutrements of civilization" at all, although that's a little extreme. The website is http://www.paleoplanet.net/

Or, would you prefer it if I post your question there and report back the better tips?

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:15 pm

richierobins wrote:Foraging is free, and the kids can join in. There are still blackberries around at the moment. With a few crab-apples you can make your own jam. In a few weeks there should be chestnuts.
I took you straight up on this advice and spent yesterday afternoon out with the kids getting blackberries, we got quitea few but will be on the ball earlier next year!!! Jam making a go go!! Many Thanks. xx

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Ellendra wrote:I'm on a wilderness survival forum whose members might have suggestions, many of them have firsthand experience in exactly that situation. Some have even gone a year or more with no house or "accoutrements of civilization" at all, although that's a little extreme. The website is http://www.paleoplanet.net/

Or, would you prefer it if I post your question there and report back the better tips?
Hi Ellendra, if you could post it up i would be really grateful. I am spending my time currently seiving threw the vast amount of info on here, its amazing.
We lived in Surrey for 18mths and knew someone who lived in the woods beyond our house in a yurt, all handmade and heated by a wood burner. It was a fantastic way of life, and we have amazing photos of our son who was then about 18mths having so much fun in and around it.
As i said in earlier posts i am ever so grateful for any advice they can provide. Take care. xxx

Flo

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Talk to the kids and get them involved. Explain how things have changed, how there is less money coming in and how hard it is to find more work. They will appreciate understanding the changes in your life. Take time to sit down as a family and talk. Not about finances and job seeking but about everything. When times were hard with us, we had a half hour set aside on a Sunday evening when the kids could raise anything they wanted with no come back at all. We all discussed whatever came up. Sometimes it went on for an hour, sometimes it was just a giggling session. But they felt that they were involved and could ask about things.

oldjerry

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:14 pm

When I said people here knew about homemaking,that's just what I meant. Brilliant.

battybird

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Dont forget to check freecycle (or freegle if you are in our area!) for things that need a new home...always worth posting if you need something too! :thumbright:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

pelmetman

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Dont forget charity shops a great source for books gardening, cooking etc (I have over 50 cook books), not to mention clothes, but not so good for men as we tend to wear our clothes until they are wrecked....................well I do :lol:
If you make stuff then craft fairs might a good source of income, or car boot sales especialy on the run up to Christmas, maybe you can find some local upholsterers soft furnishers who would happy to pass on their offcuts of fabric for nothing, then you can make other stuff to sell along with your knitted items.

Best of luck :iconbiggrin:

Dave :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Ellendra

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:15 pm

From Paleoplanet: Fishing is a good, cheap way to get protein. Even "junk" fish can taste delicious if prepared the right way.

Chicken and rabbits are also good contributors. The feed cost may be an issue, but there are ways to grow, forage, or scrounge food for them.

If there are gardeners in your area, offer to help weed in exchange for vegetables. Some of the weeds are also edible, so a good book on wild foods would be useful (try the library first). Even veggies that you don't like or that are full of bugs can be fed to the chickens.

Check the local trapping laws. You might be able to trap rabbits or other pests, some are good for meat, others have valuable fur pelts which could be sold.

Don't be afraid to barter items or skills for what you need.

I'll report more tips as they come.

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Just thought I would give you all a quick update. Things r going not too bad thanks to peoples generosity. Somebody is delivering us a free chicken house on Thursday, I can't believe it they had 6 for sale and I asked could we have one, explained what had happened and they said yes!! Breath of fresh air!!
I helped our neighbours clear out their rental property for a couple of hours and we got some lovely homegrown veg and my hubbie is taking the car to get fixed next week and to pay for it I am butchering the mans christmas pigs.
So far so good!! Will keep u all updated. Xx

oldjerry

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Good stuff,are you an experienced butcher? If so you have a VERY barterable skill (if you know what I mean!).

You probably know this ,but get some Jeyes fluid and scrub that chicken house thoroughly.If you can get your hands on a pressure washer ,even better. Best Wishes.

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi Jerry, I have my pork butchery certificate. I used to work on a farm were we did all r own butchery, I did pigs and chickens while someone else did lambs and the boss did the beef animals. Inever even thought of it till he said he was having probs getting someone to do them so its all worked out well.
I managed to get some wood for my raised veg patch from the dump as well and I'm tempted to get more layers in February as I am selling all the eggs we have. I just have to keep focussed on the task in hand I've had some down days but giving myself a kick up the arse worked wonders!!! Xx

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:43 pm

Excellent stuff Mrs H :cheers:

You're obviously a very talented and focused woman. I hope your OH is pitching in too!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

battybird

Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:58 pm

It sounds like you will do more than just survive, Mrs H! As you say, always down days, but you seem to have skills and determination so will maybe find this calamity is the beginning of a great new life! I really hope so :hugish:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Millymollymandy

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:53 am

Sounds great so far - well done! :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/