How do i make liquid soda crystals?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

How do i make liquid soda crystals?

Is it just a case of adding water? I ask because our machine gets a bit clogged up when using powder so prefer liquid clothes washing detergent. So how can i succesfully make soda crystal liquid that works well from buying just a packet of soda crystals? Thanks :-)

Moonwaves
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: How do i make liquid soda crystals?

I'm not sure but I know that when using soda crystals you put them in the drum with the clothes rather than in the dispenser drawer so depending on where your problem with clogging happens that might be all you need to do.
livingthesimplelifeiwant.blogspot.com

southeast-isher

Ah i see thanks for that Moonwaves - i can put them in one of the left over balls. Cheers :-)

happyhippy

Hi,hope this idea helps you,I've been using it for years!Ok first buy some pure soap flakes.You can usually pick up a box cheap enough from your nearest largish supermarket.Measure out two cups and place in a non aluminium saucepan.Add half a litre of water and gently heat until the flakes have completely dissolved.In the meantime measure out one cup of the soda crystals,and gently fill the cup with boiling water(crystals will disolve easily),give it a stir to ensure these have disolved properly.Now carefully add the crystal mixture to the saucepan with the flakes and on low heat,stir quickly.After a very short time this mixture will turn gloopy,like thick porridge ok?Take off the heat.Now you'll need a fairly big plastic bucket with a lid.Say 2-3 gallon?Tip the mixture into the bucket,and using the saucepan,top the bucket up to the top with hot water.At this point the mixture will look as thin as water.Don't worry!Leave overnight and the following day it would of thickened back to thick porridge type consistency.I use one cup of this per load of washing(I have a front loader)and I add this "gel"to the drawer.It does'nt have a "fresh"smell as modern detergents have so either use fabric softener,or essential oils of your choice(lavender is good).I would think you'd have to be abit choosy using these with certain fabrics.I also use this mixture to clean my kitchen and bathroom and it lasts for yonks!I emailed the company that make the soda crystals,about 6 years ago.I told them about this gel,and they emailed me back just to thank me for sharing it with them.About 6 mths later?Yep you guessed it,the gel product was on the shelf in the suprmarket!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

nice recipe HH :iconbiggrin: I might need to try that
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

southeast-isher

Ah thanks a lot Happy Hippy. Will try this out!