... Build A Fireplace?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Claripup
Tom Good
Tom Good

... Build A Fireplace?

Ok, so i do kind of have a fireplace... and a chimney... but how do I make it into a real fireplace where I can burn wood etc?

I know I need to get a chimneysweep out and hopefully he'll check the bits on the roof for me as my ladder isn't long enough :-(

But what else do I need to do? what is the random metal thingy in there and the brick like thing under it? is that something to do with the gas fire (as it was converted to gas years ago before being bricked up) or not?

Anyway - Links to pictures below... :? (I so want to use this: :angryfire: Smiley!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/ ... IMG017.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/ ... IMG019.jpg

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: ... Build A Fireplace?

Hiya! Think the random metal thing might be a back boiler... We had something similar in one of the fireplaces we got fixed up. Do you/did you have any radiators?
My advice would be to get a chimneysweep in and ask him about it. Ours gave us a number for a local grate builder. I'd never heard of a grate builder before, but he was really good and helpful and he made both the fireplaces for us and they are smashing! : )

I did try to attach some photos but they were too big!

Claripup
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks! I think, after hitting google, that you are right and it is something to do with a back boiler system... Not too sure what was here previously, but the "immersion heater" tank has been in two locations before being removed (we have a combi boiler now) one position being almost directly over the fireplace.

I'm trying to track down a chimney sweep in the local area but thought I could make a start, or at least plan what I need to do to get a working fire.

You can always email me the pictures (claripup@gmail.com), if you don't mind doing that, I would love to see them :-)

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ah ha! Figured it out! Here you go! : )

Old fireplace in dining room (or what will eventually be the dining room!!!) You can't see the back boiler very well, but it is in there! Image

New Fireplace in dining room, showing the brick built back which is nice and deep because of the gap left by the boiler.

Living room when we got the house. You can see where the blocked up fireplace is, just to the right of the glass doored cupboard. The plaster is much darker. Image

Living room fireplace now. You can see the glass doored cupboard to the left of this photo. Image

The living room fireplace has a smaller buring area than the dining room one, so its more economical. Also, its like an all-in-one surround thing, whereas the dining room one is a really a brick lined hole in the wall with a flat tiled thing stuck to the front of it.

Hope this helps,
Kate
: )

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi there,

Yes they are both components from the back boiler, the tank and cradle.
You need to remove both of them and fit or make a Fireback. What you need to make sure of when fitting a fireback is the verticle part of the fireback is inline with the chimney opening

Hold on let me put up some pictures to make it easier. I have PC problems so cant at the moment. Anyway.........

If you get a Devon Fireback (search google pics) the back needs to line up with the back of the chimney so the top of the fireback kicks out at the top.
If you get something like a cast iron fireback then you just need to backfill it and seal it in.
Have a look here for types of firebacks. http://www.vicfires.com/41_fireback/index.html

If you use a devon back (multifuel), once it is sealed in with fire cement you then fit a fasia then after that fit your surround.

I probably havnt explained it very well, its morning and my mind is still in bed!! lol

Claripup
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ok so if I'm understanding you right, the big metal V thing and blocky thing need to come out, what about the brick underneath? Also do you know how they attach as there are no visabe nuts/screws so is it all just concreted in?

If I was to make a fire back is it just essentially fireproof concrete? I've seen a dear little basket type thing for burning wood/coal in so if I was to get one would I need fire bricks to stand it on/line the back with?

Kate, your fireplaces are amazing, were they very expensive? I particularly like the last one... My OH likes the rug in that one as well :wink:

I am looking to do this as cheaply as possible as we have very little money and it's more a way of preventing us freezing in the winter again and to save on gas (seriously, to keep the house at a nice temp in winter we would need to spend about £90 a month on gas!!) and while I would love a pretty fireplace I'm quite happy to have a "made by me" cobbled together one :shock: :tongue: