Ishing your relationship?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ishing your relationship?

I'm sorry, I KNOW I post a lot. I always do in forums I like, I'm a pretty active member. If I'm posting too much just tell me and I'll try to back off.

Anyway!! My fiancee and I are considered like the perfect couple by all our friends. We're very loving and supportive and awesome. Otherwise why would I marry him? :lol: He ain't a pretty boy, so there's gotta be something there I like! :lol:

My fiancee loves homemade things. He loves my cooking, especially. Sometimes I fly out for work for weeks at a time and he is so supportive of this and my career and I want to do things for him to show him I love him. I plan on leaving casseroles in the freezer for him while I'm gone (I found out while he was apprenticing his mother would make him freezer food, how cute).

This gave me the idea for this thread: homemade things you can do just to show your partner you love them and care about them. Ideas on the cheap.

Our relationship is getting a little financially scary because we love to spoil each other with expensive gifts, and that is just starting to make me feel stupid. I don't need expensive things - to this day my favourite gift from him was the time I saw him run into the hail/sleet while we were still dating to pick me roses off his rose bush. For some reason though, we seem to have this idea in our head that each other is worth the expensive thing so we MUST buy it for them - and we're finding our gifts to be a big chunk of our savings gone, actually. Not trying to brag, more :banghead:, actually. All that money on pointless stuff!!

I would really like to Ish things instead. My man loves building and tools and metal work and Mack trucks. He's a 12 year old boy at heart. What could I possibly make him on the cheap that will last and show him I love him dearly? Other than food, I mean!! I can only make so many thank-you cakes (but he doesn't think so!).

One of my gifts to him for his birthday were huge posters of me in lingerie for his workshop, heehee. Should I make him a calendar? Do men ACTUALLY like that or is it a bit egotistical? :scratch: What could I make? Picture frames with photos of us? A shelf for the wall to display his trucks/bikes on?

He also really loves motorbikes and we actually met because we both ride and he fixed my bike for me. He doesn't have his licence anymore though (or his bike) so I can't do something for his bike. Hrm... what if I made some homemade glass cases for his rare motorbike replicas? I could use the woodburning tools to inscribe his name into them and I could use everything from the scrapyard, so it'd be cheap, too.

Anybody have any ideas or things they made for their partner?

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Ishing your relationship?

with the weather we are having here at the mo - I cannot go wrong with making woolly socks for himself!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

red wrote:with the weather we are having here at the mo - I cannot go wrong with making woolly socks for himself!
Oh yes that's right! He really wants a handmade hat for winter. I had completely forgotten. The first 1/3rd of it is just sitting the car glovebox. I should really finish that!

I don't think I'm good enough for socks just yet. I can imagine myself knitting two together if I straight needle them.

Thanks for the idea. :)

Bonniegirl

Nothing workng with posting heaps! Keeps this lot on their toes!

If you like to write and ramble, as I do, :wink: have you thought of 'Blogging'? You should you know! It's great fun!
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Bonniegirl wrote:Nothing workng with posting heaps! Keeps this lot on their toes!

If you like to write and ramble, as I do, :wink: have you thought of 'Blogging'? You should you know! It's great fun!
I have a blog! I actually have to curb back because I am not supposed to post more than once a day. It's a tandem blog with another chick where we discuss VERY VERY housewife type things, like how to spoil your husband and how to make homemade biscuits..etc... my most recent post was how to make soap using fat and ash!

Both of us are in stereotpyical man/woman type relationships with big differences. I cook and clean and my man works, but I also work and build and ride motorbikes and get muddy and the like. She and her husband are similar with her cooking and cleaning and keeping house while he works, but they're in an open relationship and she even wore red at the wedding and was married by an ordained I could be a dirty spammer, please let one of the moderators know about this post Star!

It's called "nothing but an apron" and is only on it's first week, but slowly we'll be introducing more and more 'sexy' housewife tips. My next article should be about how to make the perfect espresso, after the one I'm gonna write about rendering fat.

and look, there I go writing on and on AGAIN! Once the whole site is done and madeup (we got a designer working on it now), we'll be advertising. As it is, we're keeping it mostly mum for now until we have more articles, our logo is up and we have googleads running on it.

We're hoping it'll someday make a sexy pinup style coffee table book with recipes, organic cleaning tips and random sexy tips on how to spoil your partner. Heehee. :D

Milims

I either write or mostly find poems that say something about how I feel about my OH. We also play - mostly silly word games, but it keeps the connection going and brings a smile. Oh and there's another one - we smile at each other! All free but very important!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

my bloke had a pair of curtains (new) that werent wide enough for his window (cause he cant measure), so he bought some newer ones that fit, and gave me the old ones as spare material. knocked them up into 6 cushion covers, then i went to the rag market in brum to get some trim/decorations, and gave him 6 custom cushion covers for christmas ^-^ the cushion pads were £1 each i think from wilkos

boboff

My wife and kids are great with this sort of thing.

I had a fathers day "tappestry" thing with a pig and happy farthers day on it, and for my last birthday a Fimo man with an Axe in my Favorite top (yes it was of me!)

They mean so very much to me, and I treasure them.

Have you thought that if you want to buy each other gifts them put a £1 limit on them, then at least if you do feel like getting each other presents, it's more thought and less cash. I love it when my wife buys me my favorite chocolate bar, once in a blue moon, but when she does it is appreciated.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

How do you guys do multi-quote on this forum?

Anywho. Poems are not my man at all! I wish my man appreciated them but he can barely read as is. Not trying to insult him, but when he reads me bedtime stories, it's always "Little Miss" books. We tried Magic Pudding but it was too hard - put it that way! He's more a do-er than a reader. Nothin' wrong with that.

Hmmm... cushion covers could work. Of course we live together so it's not quite as gift-like but we WERE talking about putting some red pillows on the leather couches (our house is red/white/black themed in the main rooms) to balance out the red in the kitchen but we couldn't find any pillows we thought looked decent enough on black leather. Perhaps I could go to the Reverse Garbage in town and pick up leather offcuts and make some awesome cool red crazy-stitched pillows. I like this idea!! :cheers:

How cute boboff! Sadly I do not have kids so I don't think I can use them as an excuse to present my man with a fimoman of himself, heehee! Ergh I can't even buy him his favourite chocolate bar - we're both competing in a major fitness comp this year and he has like 10% more body fat to lose so isn't allowed sugar! (and my sugar hating @$$ only has 2% to lose and I can have it whenever I want - hahahahaha)... OH WAIT... what if I found a recipe for some sugar free chocolates? Or cake? Or brownies? That would make him SO happy. He's such a sugar freak. I bought stevia and xylitol to replace them but just skips past them to the white sugar. :pale:

...why do all my replies have to have my life story in them? Hahahaha.

Milims

I didn't mean complicated stuff - just something like this:-

In that STILL and SETTLED place
There's nobody but you
You're where I BREATHE my oxygen
You're where I SEE my view
And when the world feels full noise
My HEART knows what to do
It finds that STILL and SETTLED place
And DANCES there with YOU
(Edward Monkton)

Just a few lines can say something amazing!

Or maybe even just that dance - I know that would do it for me!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

boboff

* Cough, there is always the obvious.....physical, present!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

boboff wrote:* Cough, there is always the obvious.....physical, present!
Oh bah, he gets that gift more than enough. Why do you think I won't wear white on the wedding day? Even I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face!!

red

ElizabethBinary wrote:
boboff wrote:* Cough, there is always the obvious.....physical, present!
Oh bah, he gets that gift more than enough. Why do you think I won't wear white on the wedding day? Even I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face!!
:lol:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

red

I once made a calendar for himself, with pictures of the places we went to, things we did, in each month of the year before. That went down well
Red

etsy shop

blog

theabsinthefairy

ElizabethBinary wrote:
...why do all my replies have to have my life story in them? Hahahaha.

I am starting to really enjoy reading your posts - they are a daily column of entertainment. :icon_smile:
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia