Dye wool green

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Dye wool green

Anyone know if there's a weed that will give me green?
I can't find any vegetation that will give a green dye on wool. :study: It seems that in the natural dyes only overdyeing a yellow (marigold or Weld) with Indigo or Woad will get a green, and I'm not currently growing any.
I've managed an olive type soft green with mahonia prunings but am trying to get a proper green for making (weaving/knitting whatever feels right) the green man. :mrgreen:
I'd be grateful for any ideas :hugish:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 38.579065
longitude: -121.491014

Re: Dye wool green

if memory serves me right, Barbara Good dyed Tom's suit green using dandeilion leaves (she made the suit from wool she spun on her loom) :mrgreen: It turned out about the color of this text if you believe the color on the tv.
WHEN MY IRISH EYES ARE SMILING I'M USUALLY UP TO SOMETHING!!!
NEVER REGRET THAT WHICH ONCE MADE YOU SMILE.

red

'Lincoln green' is wool dyed yellow first with weld, then dyed with blue woad.

not actually tried it.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

snapdragon

nod nod Red, complex :?
have just blended a bit of bright green roving (came free with a spindle) with some brown Jacob - now looks more like the kind of colour I was imagining.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Hi Snapdragon

Bracken fern will give a light green collect 750g young fronds put into pot and simmer for 30mins then strain then add wool simmer for 30mins

Rose can make a darker earthy green 750g leaves simmer for 20mins the strain add wool and simmer for 20mins

Pittosporum makes a light green 750g leaves simmer for 20mins the strain add wool simmer for 20mins

Haven't tried this myself but its from a book called back to basics and so far everything I have tried out of it has been a reliable method

have fun :thumbright:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Never dyed a thing in my life (apart from my hands) but this looked interesting ...

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/naturaldyes.html

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

red

snapdragon wrote:nod nod Red, complex :?
have just blended a bit of bright green roving (came free with a spindle) with some brown Jacob - now looks more like the kind of colour I was imagining.
oh sorry you said about weld then owd in your OP - it was late - iwas tired

i thinkyou can get a green from ivy?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

homegrown wrote:Hi Snapdragon

Bracken fern will give a light green collect 750g young fronds put into pot and simmer for 30mins then strain then add wool simmer for 30mins

Rose can make a darker earthy green 750g leaves simmer for 20mins the strain add wool and simmer for 20mins

Pittosporum makes a light green 750g leaves simmer for 20mins the strain add wool simmer for 20mins

Haven't tried this myself but its from a book called back to basics and so far everything I have tried out of it has been a reliable method

have fun :thumbright:
this looks cool! i have all of the above and an OH who loves to knit! any idea what kind of pitto?
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life

this looks cool! i have all of the above and an OH who loves to knit! any idea what kind of pitto?
the book says Pittosporum (Alum) if that is any help, it also has list of other plants for other colours, if anybody wants them I'll scan the pages and email it as it might be too big to upload :cheers:
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

snapdragon

red wrote: you said about weld then owd in your OP - it was late - iwas tired
i thinkyou can get a green from ivy?
not a problem :hugish: thanks Red, and everyone else - have no Alum and currently no spare funds to purchase, so I got impatient, dug in the back of the pantry and came up with blue and yellow food colourings and citric acid - naughty and not natural I know, but safe and some greens resulted

spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 38.579065
longitude: -121.491014

where can we get the back to basics book? can you give me the authors name, publisher etc? thanks
WHEN MY IRISH EYES ARE SMILING I'M USUALLY UP TO SOMETHING!!!
NEVER REGRET THAT WHICH ONCE MADE YOU SMILE.

red

we have Jenny Dean's book wild colour which is great. she also has a blog
http://www.jennydean.co.uk/wordpress/
Red

etsy shop

blog

Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Nettles were used in the war to dye stuff camouflage green. I have never tried it myself - another project waiting for the right time.

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life

The book back to basics was produced for Readers Digest Australia for the southern hemisphere published in australia, ISBN No. 0 86449 028 3

There is a great book by John Seymour called the new guide to self sufficiency whish is written for the northern hemisphere

below is a list of his books relating to self-sufficiency

The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency (1976). London: Faber & Faber.
Bring Me My Bow (1977). London: Turnstone Books.
Keep It Simple (1977). Pant Mawr: Black Pig Press.
The Countryside Explained (1977). London: Faber & Faber. (With illustrations by Sally Seymour.)
I’m A Stranger Here Myself - the story of a Welsh farm (1978). London: Faber & Faber. (With illustrations by Sally Seymour.)
The Self-Sufficient Gardener (1978). Londoon: Dorling Kindersley
John Seymour's Gardening Book (1978). London: G.Whizzard Publications Ltd: Distributed by Deutsch,
Gardener's Delight (1978). London: Michael Joseph.
Getting It Together - a guide for new settlers (1980). London: Michael Joseph.
The Lore of the Land (1982). Weybridge: Whittet. (With illustrations by Sally Seymour.)
The Woodlander (1983). London: Sidgwick & Jackson. (With illustrations by Sally Seymour.)
The Smallholder (1983). London: Sidgwick & Jackson. (With illustrations by Sally Seymour.)
The Shepherd (1983). London: Sidgwick & Jackson. (With illustrations by Sally Seymour.)
The Forgotten Arts (1984). London: Dorling Kindersley.
Far from Paradise - the story of man's impact on the environment (1986). London: BBC Publications. (with Herbert Girardet.)
Blueprint for a Green Planet' (1987). London: Dorling Kindersley. (with Herbert Girardet.)
The Forgotten Household Crafts (1987). London: Dorling Kindersley.
England Revisited - a countryman's nostalgic journey (1988). London: Dorling Kindersley.
The Ultimate Heresy (1989). Bideford: Green Books.
Changing Lifestyles - living as though the world mattered (1991). London: Gollancz.
Rural Life - pictures from the past (1991). London: Collins & Brown
Blessed Isle - one man's Ireland (1992). London: Collins.
Seymour's Seamarks (1995). Rye: Academic Inn Books. (with illustrations by Connie Lindquist)
Retrieved from the Future (1996). London: New European,
Rye from the Water's Edge (1996). Rye: Academic Inn Books. (with illustrations by Connie Lindquist)
Playing It For Laughs - a book of doggerel (1999). San Francisco: Metanoia Press. (with illustrations by Kate Seymour)
The Forgotten Arts And Crafts (2001). London: Dorling Kindersley.
The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency (2002). London: Dorling Kindersley. (with Will Sutherland.)
The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (2003). London: Dorling Kindersley. (with Will Sutherland.)
The Fat of the Land (2008). Carningli Books (With illustrations by Sally Seymour.)

There is also a good list of books on www.mothereathnews.com under topic modern homesteading books
Hope this helps HG

Author Unknown