Stop my front room from becoming a smoking shed.

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Stop my front room from becoming a smoking shed.

We have just moved to (rented) a lovely old house (about 200 yrs old)

We had the chimney swept as soon as we got in - the sweep said that the lining of the flue (hoping that's how you spell it!) was old lime and sand and some of it came off when it was being swept - there was no soot apparently.

We then settled down in front of a log fire, only to find that the living room became full of smoke (don't worry, we have CO3 monitors!). We had the door shut - it did improve slightly when the door was opened (I have already learned that there needs to be a through draft).

The bedroom directly above (which has a blocked off chimney) was also very smoky.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to stop the smoke?

Thanks - I was SOOOO looking forward to sitting in front of a toasty fire, particularly as the house is fffffreezing and very expensive to heat! At this rate all I will be doing is hanging up kippers!
Thanks

Bonnie
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Re: Stop my front room from becoming a smoking shed.

The fact that the bedroom was also smoky is slightly worrying. In modern flues the seperate rooms have seperate fles so your bedroom should have no connection to the lounge flue. In days gone by this wasn't always true.

It could be down draughts though. In other words, the smoke goes up the chiminey but then gets blown back down. This can be due to a chimney that is too short, over hanging trees or just blustery weather.

A decent sweep can do a smoke bomb test and advise on the best cure for you problem. It may be as cheap as drilling two small vent holes in the floor near your hearth, or it could be a dodgy (ie leaky) flue & ours cost over £1000 to line! :pale: Not something we could avoid doing as it was leaking all sorts of nasties into our bedroom & that of our neighbours.

I'd get a couple of different sweeps in to have a look if it was me

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

red

yeh i would get in a sweep to give an opinion.

we had smoke coming out of more than one chimney pot when he lit the smoke bomb, and that indicates a breach. we bought a liner when we had the woodburner fitted.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

bonniethomas06 wrote:the lining of the flue (hoping that's how you spell it!) was old lime and sand and some of it came off when it was being swept
Oh-oh! That's bad news. A failed liner is a fire hazard. Creosote can seep into the masonry, and if you ever get a chimney fire, it will burn through the masonry to the structure of the house. You need to get that fixed. However, it is not the cause of the smoke.

Smoke in the house means that the chimney is not drawing properly. If the chimney is cold, this is normal. I find that opening a window helps a lot. You could try opening the chimney damper an hour before you light the fire. That will let heat from the house up the chimney to preheat it, which will improve the draft. Of course, you are sending heat up the chimney, but that's what fireplaces do! :)

If you get smoke in the house even when the chimney is warm, then it is not normal. Since you've just had it swept, you know it is not blocked, which could be one cause. If the weather is stormy, it could be wind that is blowing down the chimney.

If it is a chronic problem, you could install a ventilator at the top of the chimney. You know, those wheel things that the wind turns? It will prevent the wind blowing down the chimney, and will create a draft for you.

bonniethomas06

Thanks guys, very helpful advice.

I don't remember it being windy when we lit the test, and the sweep did a smoke test-thing which was sucessful, so I am thinking it may be one of the other reasons.

Will experiment with ventilation - as it is a rented house I don't think our landlady will stretch to having it re-lined.

Bonnie
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Thurston Garden

KeithBC wrote:If it is a chronic problem, you could install a ventilator at the top of the chimney. You know, those wheel things that the wind turns? It will prevent the wind blowing down the chimney, and will create a draft for you.
This is something the sweep would be able to advise on. In a previous life as a roofer, I used to fit these. They come in various designs and what works on one chimney may not work on another. It's trial and error with them sometimes. Hopefully the sweep will have a selection of 2nd hand ones!

NB. Other cowl suppliers are available :iconbiggrin:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Thaddeus Bushwhacker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi

I had a similar problem when we moved into an old Victorian Cottage 3 years ago.

We'd light the fire in the living room and the dining room would fill with smoke. It was because the air was being drawn from the dining room into the living room and the best supply of fresh air was down the chimney so it sucked the smoke from the fire down with it as well.

We had a logburner fitted which is alot more economical, with an open fire alot of the heat disappeares up the chimney - definately not so with a log burner!