How will i provide my bees with shelter

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
ReadingTina
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

How will i provide my bees with shelter

Hiya,

i am thrilled by the picture of bees suckling on my flowers, but strangly enough the UK do not have so many buzzing creatures. So i thought i give them a little reason to stay on my patio and have bought and sow flowers, but still now buzzers. So i thought maybe they dont have shelter where they can have their eggs and stay for winter and shelter. But how do i build such a thing. Would do those buzzers need.

loads of love
Tina

Muscroj
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: How will i provide my bees with shelter

don't know about honey bees, but bumbles seem to like old dry stone walls. We only discovered we had a nest of bumble bees in our old house when we came to demolish a wall/bank & found them. They were none too pleased about being discovered as my husband found out when one of them made it very clear to him in a very bee like manner on his bottom!
Jo

Do the best that you can do & be the best you can be

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Re: How will i provide my bees with shelter

Have a look at this Palace, then try to build just a bit of it!

A plantpot stuffed with lengths of bamboo will attract all sorts of over Wintering insects, including some species of bee if tucked away in a quiet corner.

MW

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 12&start=0
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!