... cut my own hair?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
SamNurse
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: ... cut my own hair?

just a warning about doing it yourself with grooming people!
my older sister cut her fiances hair once with a clipper and unfortunatly the head was loose and came off!
she gouged a 3 inch line that went straight to the scalp! it say he was furious would be a major understatement :angryfire:
afetr chasing her around the garden for 10 mins he finally calmed down and let my mum try to repair the damage
he had to go to work with a baseball cap for at least a couple of weeks, his coworkers never let him forget it
so the moral is that self grooming can be cheaper but if done wrong can have serious consequences for your love life!
[about Tom's ideal of self sufficiency]
Jerry: You're totally insane.
Tom: Jerry, we've never been saner in all our lives.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

SamNurse wrote:so the moral is that self grooming can be cheaper but if done wrong can have serious consequences for your love life!
Don't have any of that - so no danger there! :lol:

Yeah, I realise it's not necessarily the "cheap" option....
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Rosendula

I cut OH's hair on a no.2 which is very short. I take the head off and turn the 'machine' the other way up to do the bottom edges and to shave his neck, but I'm sure you won't have to do that Ina :lol: I used to do my son's on a no. 4 before he said he'd rather go to the barber even if he has to pay for it himself :scratch: No.4 is still pretty short.

OH usually cuts mine with scissors about once a year, but I did it myself last time. Oh, and the time before that I started it myself, but he had to straighten it :lol:

I usually place the hair trimmings around my brassicas because slugs don't like going over it. :tongue:
Rosey xx

ina

Thanks for all that advice. I think I might borrow one, to try out what I can do...
Ina

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

SamNurse wrote: my older sister cut her fiances hair once with a clipper and unfortunatly the head was loose and came off!

I read that as "unfortunatly HIS head was loose and came off!"

The dangers of home hair cutting :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

ina

Annpan wrote: I read that as "unfortunatly HIS head was loose and came off!"

The dangers of home hair cutting :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think it would have taken him more than 10 minutes to calm down after that - and more than a baseball cap to cover up the damage! :mrgreen:
Ina

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

No hairdressers near here so last October, after the tourists had gone, I did my hair with clippers. No.4, long setting. That's the biggest comb I've got. My hair was nowhere near 30mm Ina, though.

I had to resort to a hat - bit draughty round the old ears - I'd not had a haircut for a couple of years before so it was a bit of a change.

But the good thing about any haircut is that it'll grow out quite quickly. I'll probably do it again this October - it seemed to grow quite nicely - apart from the stage where it looked like a hedgehog sitting on my head! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

invisiblepiper

My elder daughter cut my OH's hair yesterday with the dog trimmer on its No4 setting - Looks just the same as his normal cut - costing £7 ( Guy prices)
I have short hair - and I really object to paying a minimum of £25! :(
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with you about the prices Ina! I have really long hair (just past waist at the moment) and all ever want is a trim. Just half an inch off the bottom...that's it...

I used to go to a barber in York who only charged me £5 because my hair was quick and easy for him - he used to make it wet, but not wash it, then i'd comb it through and he'd trim the bottom. no blow dry, no stying, nothing. He ised to say that my hair was easier than most mens!!

ina

I usually paid £8 or £9, which I found OK (although it's still more than guys pay - and I'm always out of the place in less than 10 minutes). But in this place where I now live, there are only two hairdressers, and the one I tried (looked just as grotty as the ones I used to go to), charged £15; didn't cut it nicely, either. So I'll see if I can find the other one - might give them a try. Problem is, I need to look reasonably presentable - well, you never know, somebody might even invite me for a job interview, where I can't turn up looking like a hedgehog... :(
Ina

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

For those with long hair, try www.longhaircommunity.com

There's a girl on Livejournal who does a hair cutting tutorial - her name's Freya, but i can't find the link at the moment...

ina

Long hair wasn't a problem - I always cut my own...

The good news is, I tried the other hairdresser in my town, and it is CHEAP!!! - £6.50 - and a better cut than the other place! So I think I'll contribute to the local economy and stick with them. Even I can afford that.
Ina

Millymollymandy

That is cheap :shock: at mine she charges €4.50 just for a blob of hair mousse. :cussing: Then the same amount if you want conditioner. :roll: :roll: :roll: I think it's a bloody cheek as I expect to get both of those included in the price of a cut and blow dry - her prices keep fluctuating but have gone down 2 euros since May (?) to €24.00. And this is just a dinky little village hairdressers in a dinky village in rural France. :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/