Tell the difference between 2 kinds of potatoes?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
starbub
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Tell the difference between 2 kinds of potatoes?

Hi all
I'm new to this....so please be patient!!! Stupidly (and much to my husbands annoyance!) I have planted two varieties of potato and completely forgot to label them as to which ones I should harvest first. I can't even remember which two varieties I planted. So how can I tell which one I should harvest first? One variety is considerably shorter than the other and I have had flowers on both sorts.
I just don't want to harvest the wrong one first and then the other variety goes rotten and be a complete waste of hard work!
Many thanks in Advance
S

Cornelian
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Tell the difference between 2 kinds of potatoes?

I would just put my hand in and have a bit of a feel. :) (I'm like that ...) If they are nice and big, or even small but round and tempting, pull a few out and eat them. If they are tiny, leave them be for a bit.

Potatoes here are never sold as earlies or lates or whatever. They're just potatoes (of whatever named variety). So you always harvest them whenever the spuds are ready or you can't wait any longer. :)

If you want to be happy for a day, buy a car. If you want to be happy for a weekend, get married. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, be a gardener.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tell the difference between 2 kinds of potatoes?

If you planted earlies and maincrop them the earlies have shorter growth and are probably beginning to look a bit sad by now, getting ready to die down (depending on when you planted them)
Maincrop on the other hand should be flourishing with taller stems of dark green healthy leaves and lots of flowers.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.