Make sourdough bread?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
flyonthewall
Tom Good
Tom Good

Make sourdough bread?

I looked on the how to make bread thread....have been making bread for a while but have never tried sourdough bread. I love the taste of it, so would like to try it.

also, anybody got any good non-wheat bread recipes? I can make good wheat bread but have struggled with other kinds of flour.
allotment digging, fresh air loving Yorkshire lass

Shutsumon
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Make sourdough bread?

Hmmm I've never made sourdough bread either but given the lack of response I consulted the great oracle Google and found this.

http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm which looks helpful. I might try it sometime myself if I can find a suitable jar.

peterg
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We obtained "the Tassajara Bread Book" which has some great bread making recipes including sourdough. I did a quick check and it's available on amazon.co.uk

cottagegardenfarmer
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've tried all kinds of bread making methods, and even spent some time trying sour dough,which is lovely, but a bit demanding in time and attention. At the present time I'm favouring making a large (2 bags flour)batch of dough in the usual way, just flour, water, salt, and yeast, and then tip it into a bin liner and keep it in the bottom of the fridge. It keeps for at least a couple of weeks, and when you want a loaf ,some rolls, or flatbreads, just cut a lump off, shape it,leave it to come to room temp and prove and then bake. It develops some of the sourdough flavour, and if you make up the next batch using the last lump it develops the flavour more. An easy manage method for sour dough that works well.

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hugh F-W was doing this on River Cottage last night, if you go onto channel 4 website you should be able to find the recipe or even watch the programme if you missed it.

Good luck!

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hugh fearnly whittlingstick walked into my sister once and didnt say sorry. true story.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

For the ultimate in bread recipes (well, in my opinion), try this book: http://www.breadmatters.com/

Of course, they don't put their recipes online, because they want to sell the book...

I don't find sourdough time consuming - but you do not space to keep the bowl with it in the kitchen for a few days, and you have to remember to give it a stir now and then! I usually use half wheat, half rye for that. Must admit, haven't done it for a while; partly because of space issues, and because you can only keep the starter for so long before it goes off; i.e. for one person, I don't really need to bake bread often enough. You can freeze the starter, but I don't see any reason to keep the freezer going just for a bit of starter - not really good use of energy!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)