How do i write a decent CV?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: How do i write a decent CV?

following on from this, what should go in a cover letter?

im pretty sure my CV is crapola, but it does get me replies [negative ones.. but theyre replies], but since the cover letter is the first thing people see, how do i write it?

i hatez job hunting =[

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Goodness me - you must all be applying for entirely different jobs from the ones I've been applying for... Hardly anybody seems to want a CV, or even a cover letter. Some want a statement (tell us how you fulfil the requirements for the job etc). Everything seems to be online forms nowadays. And then really, really stupid questions (like do you have a British driving licence - no, I don't, but my German licence is just as good - only I can't fit that in, because I can only tick yes or no - so do I lie, or do I tell the truth, and make them think I'm not allowed to drive???).

I've just sent off an application that was the first of them all "old style": cover letter, CV. But still via e-mail rather than hard copy.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Whether it's an e-mail or a letter, the contents should be the same. You should go through your CV and tailor it to the job you are applying for but use the letter to spell out, even more, why you are perfect for the job.

For instance, in the CV you might say where you live, but in the letter you can point out that you are within walking distance of the job. Or you might be able to say something along the lines of:

"The job description asks for specific experience of X. As you will see from my CV, I spent three years working for Y where I was responsible for X."

As always though, keep it short and to the point.

Cheers
Zoe