I want to eat this mushroom for breakfast is it OK?

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I want to eat this mushroom for breakfast is it OK?

Title says it all really. Also put a teaspoon next to it for a size gauge. please don't be offended if you ask a question because I will be out from 17.45 until late so won't be able to respond. All I can tell you is that it was growing on a grassy bank west facing (cow field) there were about 5 all very large I only took the one.it was standing on a 3 + inch stalk. Hope that's enough info. thanks in advance.
Photo0144.jpg
Photo0144.jpg (6.3 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: I want to eat this mushroom for breakfast is it OK?

Sorry T, image doesn't show enough detail. Re info, would need to know much more such as whether gills or tubes, colour of gills/tubes plus how they join the stem, spore print and colour, stem shape and bruising characteristics, smell etc etc.
With fungi minor detail can be so important. There are nasties out there and eating some cause death; others can result in permanent damage to kidneys, liver and central nervous system.
Put more photos up if you have them and I'm sure someone could indicate a likely species so you can identify more accurately yourself. Please don't be tempted to eat anything because a bloke on t'internet said they'd be ok :shock: :pukeright: :pale:

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am quite bad at taking photo's but really hopeless at getting them where you can see them I keep getting the message photo to big. I will spend time learning this but in the meantime I put these links in

https://picasaweb.google.com/1142159004 ... tober82011
hope it works. Thanks
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Carltonian Man

Don't seem able to get onto your photos via the link. If you're using Picasa, you could highlight the selected image in the programme and email it to yourself using the envelope icon. Picasa automatically resizes it. When you receive your email save the attachment to your desktop and then you should be able to upload it to ish in the usual manner. If your email is taking too long to arrive you can always find the downsized attachment in your sent items.
Hope this helps :thumbright:

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for your continued support. This damn mushroom will probably be fousty by the time we can identify it.
Photo0145.jpg
Photo0145.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
Photo0144.jpg
Photo0144.jpg (8.15 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
Now the underneath is a very light cream colour and it looks a bit like fins. on top it has a lot of white but near the centre it gets a definite
brown and its texture is quite knobbly in parts
Photo0146.jpg
Photo0146.jpg (23.2 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

Carltonian Man

Hi T. haven't seen the stipe of your sample but the cap resembles shaggy parasol (macrolepiota rhacodes). Maybe check it out against Google images and confirm all characteristics on http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/chooser.asp. IF you think it is a shaggy Parasol bear in mind that although often rated as a highly edible species it can cause gastric upset in some and also skin rashes (it's surprising how many books and web sites fail to mention this). Personally I don't eat them.
Good luck and keep us posted :thumbright:

Durgan

trinder wrote:Title says it all really. Also put a teaspoon next to it for a size gauge. please don't be offended if you ask a question because I will be out from 17.45 until late so won't be able to respond. All I can tell you is that it was growing on a grassy bank west facing (cow field) there were about 5 all very large I only took the one.it was standing on a 3 + inch stalk. Hope that's enough info. thanks in advance.
Photo0144.jpg
Don't even think of eating the mushroom. I often collect mushrooms. I know about twenty in my area. About 7 are poisonous, and about four are edible. The remainder are iffy. Unless I am 100% sure I do not eat. It takes a lot of tramping through the bush, and mistaken identity is the norm. It takes much exposure to be sure. Don't ever take a chance.

Oyster and Morels are the two I can identify without difficulty, and they are often in abundance. The meadow gilled are very difficult to identify. Chanterelle are also difficult in many case, but I do eat them periodically if I am sure. I never eat any of the spongy type because I cannot identify.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

My thanks to you both. I have looked very closely and think you're right Carltonian man it is most definitely macrolepiota rhacodes. Hubby made it very clear he is not eating it and after your feedback I wont either.

mick2me
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have an abundance of similar mushrooms sprung up in my lawn after a dry spell then some rain yesterday.

Are these edible field mushrooms?

This shows the closed cup and the top and bottom of open mushroom.
The cut stalk turned brown pretty quickly after cutting.
There is light pink staining where gills have been damaged.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/m ... 111817.jpg

Big Al

Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Aesculus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 50.86291
longitude: -1.242574

mick2me wrote:I have an abundance of similar mushrooms sprung up in my lawn after a dry spell then some rain yesterday.

Personally if you need to ask then just don't eat it as it's really not worth the risk or you might be doing this sooner then you expected :angel11:

quote from another forum:
If you do collect fungi for consumption take three samples:

One for yourself
One for your Doctor
And another for the Coroner
if you really want to find out what it is post the photo's to wildaboutbitain.co.uk or ispot.org.uk both of those sites have a number of experienced fungi people who will ID them for you but don't mention eating them as they get a bit funny :angryfire: the site Big Al mentions is also very good and the book is even better :flower:

fungi2bwith
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

mick2me wrote:I have an abundance of similar mushrooms sprung up in my lawn after a dry spell then some rain yesterday.

These are shaggy parasols.