OK, here's one........

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
Northern Boy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

OK, here's one........

Found this growing on (I think) dead Silver Birch. Looks like a bracket but flesh is soft. Dense tho', very meaty.

Older looking specimens looked darker and more dilapidated.

This one looks so....... tasty

Top. Is pale brown.

Bottom. Creamy white and very smooth.

Point of attachment to tree

Cut through; had the consistency and appearance of a firm mozzerella

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: OK, here's one........

Easy! Birch Polypore*. It's not supposed to be edible (but only on account of the dense rubberyness of the flesh, not because of toxicity), it's pretty common on Birch and spells death for the tree when it arrives so is often found densely infesting dead stumps and fallen logs. The soft white underside on young specimens can be sliced carefully off and used as a surprisingly effective emergency wound dressing. Dried, it also burns reasonably well as a tinder but can smell awful so not for use indoors!

* See here: http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/ ... d~6642.asp
Chi vo far 'na bona zena magn'un erb d'tut la mena

Northern Boy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Great, thanks! Shame it's not edible.

OK, here's one more. These were everywhere. I apologise in advance if they're common and/or uninteresting, but I have no means of identifying them as our copy of Rogers is still in the post!

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Even after all these years I'm still learning fungi (as a forager you never really stop learning!) but based on your description and its prolific habits I'm going to hazard that it's a Yellow Swamp Russula (Russula claroflava - also known as a brittlegill)*

Although it's supposed to be edible, I tend to avoid all Russulas because there are so many of them and it could be possible to mis-identify one and mistake a toxic specimen for an edible one. Russulas are a bit of a minefield!

You'll love your Roger's when it arrives - it's a fab book. I also like the Encyclopedia of Fungi of Britain and Europe by Michael Jordan and I think that the two books compliment each other very well.

* http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/ ... result.asp

Northern Boy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks (again!).

Very much looking forward to the arrival of Rogers. There's so much woodland round here that have to contain boletus and cantharellus in there somewhere!

Seems like it's still a little early tho.

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I warn you, The hunt is addictive! But very satisfying too. You're lucky to have access to such a lush looking woodland. Keep posting your finds!