mushrooms from the glen

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

mushrooms from the glen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33123392@N00/

this is the link. to all the wild mushrooms. that i photographed in the glen.
id love if yous guys out there. can give me pointers to what they might be.....cheers all

jim

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: mushrooms from the glen

Hi Jim.

I think No 120 is a chanterelle ... very tasty.

It's a job to see scale, but if that's your hand under No 111 then it's probably a horse mushroom, also reasonably tasty.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

thanks for your replys guys. can anyone tell me. if the chanterelles are false ones.
do they do you any harm if you try them. and can anyone describe the taste of a false chanterelle

jim

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just had another look at your photo Jim and I'm pretty sure that is a Chanterelle.
False chanterelles tend to have a smoother edge with not so pronounced scalloping.
Best way to tell is to crumble a piece with your fingers ... true chanterelles should smell distinctly fruity, a peachy apricot smell, false ones smell of nothing in particular.
False chanterelles are edible but tasteless so not a problem if you still aren't sure.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

thanks odsox.

for the help with the mushrooms. the mushrooms did have a fruity smell.
i have not tasted them. as i was unsure what a false/chanterelle could do to me.
i think il put all your tips together and try one. are they best just fried in butter.
and yes the big mushroom that looked like a horse mushroom.
it was my hand under it. it was about 5 inches across the top. there were 4 of them growing a few feet apart. they just looked the big flat mushrooms you buy to stuff from the supermarket.
can anyone tell me more information. or show me pictures of pennybun (boletus edulus) or or ceps as there also known. as i think the glen is stuffed full of them. thanks again....jim

cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

these pictures are i think of pennybuns or ceps (boletus edulus) or something like that. number 125 and 126 are what i thnk are these mushrooms, is there anyone out there. with a good knowledge of these mushrooms. maybe with some good pointers for a positive identification. many thanks.

heres the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/33123392@N00/

cheers......jim