Where can I buy online alternative type shampoo's?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Where can I buy online alternative type shampoo's?

Thanks, Maggie - I shall bear that in mind! (I think I still have some apple cider vinegar in a glass bottle... :mrgreen: )
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hopefully they've improved since I last used one. I read excellent reviews of one of the bars from the store you mentioned above. The trouble is I get a sickly headache whenever I get within a few metres of the shop. I really wish they'd tone it down a notch or two.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Green Aura wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am Hopefully they've improved since I last used one. I read excellent reviews of one of the bars from the store you mentioned above. The trouble is I get a sickly headache whenever I get within a few metres of the shop. I really wish they'd tone it down a notch or two.
Glad I'm not the only one. I've known myself change the side of the street to avoid the smell...
Ina

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Seriously DND? You waste good goose fat on your dog?

As an ageing male with far more face to wash that hair to shampoo these days I can't add anything into this discussion other than to say try rubbing some coconut oil into your hair and scalp, waiting about an hour and then washing with an olive oil based soap.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

As another ageing male with thinning hair on the top of my head, although more than enough elsewhere, I started to get scabs forming on my scalp. I believe that's fairly common in older men, but as I've never been old before I couldn't guarantee that as a fact.
Anyway it got to the stage where they started to bleed if I caught them with a comb, and although not painful they irritated me.
I switched to baby shampoo and over the course of several months they totally disappeared.

As an aside, my wife uses (or did) some "beauty" shampoo and when she had emptied a bottle she left it upended in the bath tray. A few days later I noticed that the drips had taken the shine off the bath enamel.
So if "beauty" shampoos strip bath enamel, what does it do to your scalp and hair?
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Flo

Odsox wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:13 am So if "beauty" shampoos strip bath enamel, what does it do to your scalp and hair?
Only you can tell us that by looking at the wife's hair. :mrgreen:

Penny Lane

I've heard soapnuts can be used for washing your hair. Not tried it myself but seems the most natural way besides going the no poo route!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Taf
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Odsox wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:13 am As another ageing male with thinning hair on the top of my head, although more than enough elsewhere, I started to get scabs forming on my scalp. I believe that's fairly common in older men, but as I've never been old before I couldn't guarantee that as a fact.
Anyway it got to the stage where they started to bleed if I caught them with a comb, and although not painful they irritated me.
I switched to baby shampoo and over the course of several months they totally disappeared.
I'm getting these scabs on my head for the last 10 years or so, which I also think was caused by using my wifes shampoo. I've recently started using a milder natural shampoo, and they seem to have much diminished or completely gone. Definitely will reach for the baby shampoo as an alternative though.

ina

Talking about baby products - I've been using baby oil for my rather dry skin for a few years now. Much better and cheaper than all those posh lotions; for babies, they have to leave out nasty stuff by law.
Ina

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taf wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:37 pm Definitely will reach for the baby shampoo as an alternative though
ina wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 pm they have to leave out nasty stuff by law.
Yes totally agree about the nasty stuff. I use Johnsons Baby shampoo, guaranteed to be as "gentle as water" for new born babies.
I was stuck on Head & Shoulders because I got dandruff 40 years ago and it became the shampoo I used by habit.
I've been off it for about 2 years and no dandruff has returned, and even if it did I would just put up with it now.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.