natural family planning

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

natural family planning

2 kids and a whole loads of problems with contraception down the line, i dont want to put my body through anymore stress with hormones and the like and so have decided to do away with conventional birth controle and instead turn to natural family planning as my form of chosen birth controle.

natural family planning is basically keeping track of your cycle and learning when you ovulate so you can avoid sex at that time, or use another form of extra contraception like condoms, to avoid pregnancy.

we are following the good old method of just not comming inside. seems to be working so far. :lol:

anyone else been doing this? whats your experiances ?
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Milims

Re: natural family planning

In the words of my Great Aunty Maggie "Put it in double, shooting end out!"
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

2 kids and a whole loads of problems with contraception down the line, i dont want to put my body through anymore stress with hormones and the like and so have decided to do away with conventional birth controle and instead turn to natural family planning as my form of chosen birth controle.

natural family planning is basically keeping track of your cycle and learning when you ovulate so you can avoid sex at that time, or use another form of extra contraception like condoms, to avoid pregnancy.

we are following the good old method of just not comming inside. seems to be working so far. :lol:

Do you mean you stay outside on your land all the time and don't go indoors? :scratch:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

The Riff-Raff Element

bill1953 wrote: Do you mean you stay outside on your land all the time and don't go indoors? :scratch:
Absolutely. There's the answer. Work yourselves to the level of exhaustion consistent with not having sex and your problems will be solved. Failing that, vasectomy does sound like quite a good idea.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just say NO.......
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

trinder wrote:Just say NO.......
Ahahahahahahahaha, brilliant!

But referring to the original question, we currently have two children, 3 1/2 and 10 months and we are using the same method of contraction as you. Vasectomy will be what we'll do in the end but I'd like more babies first, just not yet. It's working OK for us and I'm perfectly happy with it all but there's no pressure on us as if we have another it won't matter as we want that eventually anyway.

I don't think I could rely on the natural method using my cycle and if we did it wouldn't as fun/fulfilling I don't think

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not something I could do myself. I have PCOS and erratic cycles.

Good old condoms for me - no glove, no love (or no diving without a wetsuit as one ex put it...)

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

demi wrote:2 kids and a whole loads of problems with contraception down the line, i dont want to put my body through anymore stress with hormones and the like and so have decided to do away with conventional birth controle and instead turn to natural family planning as my form of chosen birth controle.

I like the idea of natural family planning but I know Mother Nature designs us to feel frisky when most fertile. I'm still looking for the perfect contraceptive :dontknow: . Does natural family planning involve taking your temperature as well as charting dates?

Withdrawal method seems quite risky 15-28% failure rate a quick google search tells me http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relation ... ruptus.htm

I guess combining the methods will up the success rate.

Goodluck

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

demi

yes it can envolve taking your daily morning temperature, as soon as you wake up before you get out of bed as your temperature rises when your moving about. your temperature shoots up when you ovulate.

there is also the mucus method. checking your vaginal mucus ( sounds so gross! ) daily and when it is the most clear, stucky and strechy thats when you've just ovulated.

theres also charting your menstral cycle. there are 14 days between the day you ovulate and the first day of your period, so you count back 14 days from the first day of your period and chart it every month. after a few months you begin to predict when you ovulate.

and of course theres the withdrawal method.

so if you combine all the methods it shoudl maximise your protection against pregnancy.
when done properly it can have up to 98% sucsess rate, thats the same as condoms.

if anyones thinking of doing it you should check first how to do it properly. speak to your GP or family planning counceller.
iv just been checking online, iv never spoke to a professional about it, i probably should. but im not completly opposed to more kids which is probably why im happy with this at the moment.
i keep an eye on the mucus, although we just have sex anyway no matter what its like, and i track my periods which are still not regular yet and my son is cumming up for 9 months now. iv just started taking my temperature, this morning was the first time and it was exactly 36 degrees and this is the 3rd day of my period ( last night it was 35.6 which i though was very low? )
plus we allways withdraw.

and if we end up having to come back to scotland to give birth again i suppose i can put up with all those anit-social jobs for 2 or 3 months while we are there :)

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

the average is ovulation 14 days before your period but it can be more or less than this. Not everyone has 28 day cycles. I did natural famiy planning to help us conceive my son. Basal body temperature, cervical positioning and cervical mucus monitoring all combine to confirm ovulation. I used fertilityfriend.com to record the data and it identifies when you most likely ovulated. Ideally if using natural family planning you should monitor your cycle for a few cycles to find out when you ov whilst using contraception then once you're confident you know when you ov (assuming your cyces are regular ie not breastfeeding or have conditons like pcos) you can either avoid intercourse during your fertile period or use contraception. The danger with using nat fam planning when your cycle is irregular is pregnancy - we dtd on day 11 and day 18 and are 13 weeks pregnant even though I am still breastfeeding lots! Contraception is a good thing :wink:

Here's a link to my charts http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2ad257

Povester
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

We used to use a Persona machine that we got from Boots. It was a few years ago and I think the machine is quite expensive. You also have to buy little sticks that you wee on every morning and then a light goes on and tells you if you can have unprotected sex or not, red for NO, green for GO BABY GO!! Of course you can still use a condom on red days. It wasn't too much hassle and we used to watch for the light and then jump up and down with excitement shouting "its a green day!!". All good fun. Now three little boys later my other half has just had a vasectomy. Just waiting for the all clear and then everyday's a green day :)

Cath

Here's the link: http://www.boots.com/en/The-Persona-Con ... tor_15765/
When we decided to have children we started doing it on red days, felt very naughty and worked a treat!

boboff

Good lick.... Luck, I mean Luck, obviously.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Povester wrote:We used to use a Persona machine that we got from Boots. It was a few years ago and I think the machine is quite expensive. You also have to buy little sticks that you wee on every morning and then a light goes on and tells you if you can have unprotected sex or not, red for NO, green for GO BABY GO!! Of course you can still use a condom on red days. It wasn't too much hassle and we used to watch for the light and then jump up and down with excitement shouting "its a green day!!". All good fun. Now three little boys later my other half has just had a vasectomy. Just waiting for the all clear and then everyday's a green day :)

Cath

Here's the link: http://www.boots.com/en/The-Persona-Con ... tor_15765/
When we decided to have children we started doing it on red days, felt very naughty and worked a treat!

This sounds brilliant!!! I am definitely going to look :iconbiggrin:

demi

i think this would be a grate device if the stick you pee on was reusable.
this is the same concept as a pregnancy test and you have to use a new one every time which will be pricey and probably not very enviromentally friendly.
but if it was reusable i would definetly buy it, and i would be prepared to pay what it costs to have it.

Povester

Quite right, not very environmentally friendly in terms of the disposable sticks but no worse than condoms I guess and it felt better than being on the pill.