Fluoride in tank water. To dose or not to dose..

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
colours
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Fluoride in tank water. To dose or not to dose..

Hi all!

I have a question regarding fluoridating tank water. I have a young family and about 12 months ago we moved to the lovely hills to enjoy the raw nature, etc, etc.

Having not been to the dentist quite proudly in 15 years I am appalled to notice several budding young cavities developing in my teeth. Originally I had no intention of adding anything to my lovely fresh tank water (although it is far from that at the moment thanks to some blocked gutters and lovely hot days - gutters now gutter guarded). However seeing as I have noticed changes in my teeth since leaving the fluoridated city, I wonder what implications this will have on the fate of my kid's teeth which are developing as I type.

So the question is, should I add fluoride to my tank or not? Has anyone got any burning arguements either way? Also where can I buy the fluoride from, how much do I need to add (my tank is 125 000 L and quite full).

I've looked up dept health website and sydney water, can't find much there. I don't want to have to pay for a dentist to tell me and, well, he/she might have vested interests if you know what I mean.

Also if anyone has any hints on how to stop yourself from grinding your teeth at night that would be great :cussing:

Thanks heaps,

Carolin.
Why does life get faster, the older you get?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fluoride in tank water. To dose or not to dose..

Hi Carolin

I think it must ultimately depend on your point of view. I was appalled when our (then) local water company decided to fluoridate our water without even consulting their customers.
Since moving here 12 years ago with a mountain spring as our main source of water, backed up by a deep well borehole for when the spring dries up, I can't say that I have noticed any difference in our teeth, but then we are both "oldies"
I think I would prefer frequent brushing with a fluordated toothpaste rather that "pollute" my water supply.
But then, that's just my opinion. :geek:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

I would be hesitant about home dosing with flouride. The amount required even in a 125,000 litre tank would be very small and many flourides are quite toxic - sodium flouride makes a fine rat poison - so you'd have to be very confident of mixing it properly.

If it were me I'd be sticking to the toothpaste.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Here's where I upset people but...

Fluoride does NOT prevent cavities, the "research" that came to this conclusion was flawed. The original group of people who seemed to have fewer cavites than normal also lived a much less sugar-dependant diet, took more exercise and lived closer to the land. Yes, there were traces of naturally occuring fluoride in there water, but there was also traces of dead cows! However, a local industry produced this toxin as a waste product....

Fluoride causes many more problems too: tooth thining, bone thining (leading to osteoporsis), is a known carcinogen, etc

Take a look here http://www.fluoridealert.org/

If you really feel your kids may benefit, then toothpaste might be the answer, but it really is "fluoride reduces cavities = carrots help you see in the dark". (Also, take a look at the entry about toothpaste in the ISH Bible!)

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Iodine and potassium iodide or good for making water potable.

Also, hydrogen peroxide is used for swimming pools. I've heard that professional swimmers don't/won't swim in pools with chlorine in them.

My vote is to use something other than flouride. It's not healthy stuff. There's a lot of documentation now about the politics behind flouride in the water.

Healthy teeth and bones come be supported by eating seaweed, taking high quality supplements, etc.

Ellendra

I'd suggest getting your water tested, there may be something in it that's messing up your teeth. If it was just a lack of something, the process would take a lot longer to show in the form of cavities.

Its also possible that because you haven't been to a dentist in 15 years, you may have had problems you weren't aware of, that have taken this long to advance to the point of visible cavities. I know the constant candy-and-soda habit from when I was a young child damaged my teeth, but the damage didn't show until my early 20's.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

My mother gave me flouride tablets as a child not realising that the water in London already had flouride in it. So I ended up getting a double dose. I do have very strong teeth, even now 30 years later, but they are badly marked by the flouride so I am very selfconcious about my smile and don't show my teeth.

Don't add anything to the water. So little of it is drunk that you would be wasting your money on the additives. Just brush really well, floss regularly and try a home made mouthwash if you can find a recipe.

Zoe

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

A few months ago I ventured into the loft of our rented house, not much up there but I did find a couple of sheets of a local (wokingish) newspaper dated in the 50's (if my memory serves me right) and the main story was the how people were appalled by plans to add fluoride to the water supply, the story even went as far as saying it was like a nazi experiment! :shock:

With that sort of opposition it makes me wonder how they managed to go ahead with it. An interesting piece of social history I thought.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tea has flouride in it - drink more tea! Not sure whether its green, white or black that has the highest concentrations. I'm guessing green, but i could be very wrong.

Also, the cavities could be due to the lack of dental visits. I am a prime example of this! I avoid the D things like the plague because the anaesthetic they use doesn't work and they refuse to believe me. Anyway, having toothache a couple of months ago, i swallowed my fear and went. The dentist found 5 holes...and 2 have been filled and i had to endure the pain. I'm waiting for an appointment to be knocked out to fill the other 3. So, holes definitely creep up on you when you least expect it, and they all seem to crop up at once.

If you are worried about flouride, i'd go with toothpaste and mouthwash. I read a book a while ago that said that flouride is only useful for teeth while they are forming - so in children its useful for adult teeth. After that, its no good. How true these claims are, i don't know.

The Riff-Raff Element

the.fee.fairy wrote:Tea has flouride in it - drink more tea! Not sure whether its green, white or black that has the highest concentrations. I'm guessing green, but i could be very wrong.
Tea! Of course! What would we do without it? :mrgreen:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Being British, i'd never survivie a crisis without it, naturally!

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tea first, yep, sounds familiar. It has to be another kind of crisis to keep away the tea.

Don't you love thread hijacking? :wink: