Recommend me a greener car?

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

101 reasons to take a cat camping ...

1. Fire pit scraper
2. Pillow
3. Monotonous muppetphone
4. Emergency rations
5. Emergency loo paper

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

6. Alarm clock
7. hot water bottle...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Millymollymandy

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Of course, when we didn't have to wear seat belts we could fit a lot more people (and cats and dogs) into cars.

My mum had a Fiat 500 and it was surprising how many adults you could squeeze into one!

Seems like a long time ago when we used to sit on people's laps inside a car! :lol:

ina

Millymollymandy wrote: My mum had a Fiat 500 and it was surprising how many adults you could squeeze into one!
When I was an apprentice, one of my fellow students had one... She sometimes gave four of us a lift to college: all in all, 5 rather large farmer bodies in a miniature, PINK Fiat 500! Oh joy!
Ina

Mydreamlife
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I wasn't suggesting it had to be a big car, just a car that would accomodate us all, realistically a mini with a family of five, two dogs and animal feed to cart around country lanes is probably better named a death trap! :shock:
I really don't want an estate and certainly not a people carrier I just wondered if anyone could recomend a reasonably priced hatchback that would be kind to the environment as well. :flower:
Behind every sucessful man is an fantastic woman!
Not sure who first said it or exact words but so very true!!

ina

Sorry, Mydreamlife... This wasn't meant as criticism of you! I just got thinking about what we used to have, and I realise we all got carried away with stories of the good old times... :mrgreen:

And as I know very little about cars, I'd better not pretend I can give you any useful advice. :?
Ina

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Me too Mydreamlife... just wondered off topic for a minute :wink:

Car-seats now mean that you can't fit so many wee people in the back of a car...You could squeeze 2 boosters and a toddler seat in our car (a 2006 Skoda fabia) but you'd not fit in much more... and the boot is smaller than on alot of other cars I have seen. It suits us and was the best value for us at the time, they are reliable and in 2006 Skoda fabia was winning all kinds of 'car of the year' awards.

To me, it seems buying a good value sturdy car that will last you a while, that you can always get parts for... well it is a green'ish solution.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

hedgewitch

Greenpeace are running a campaign on green cars at the moment.
Take a look at the link.

click here
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Mydreamlife
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Annpan wrote:Me too Mydreamlife... just wondered off topic for a minute :wink:

Car-seats now mean that you can't fit so many wee people in the back of a car...You could squeeze 2 boosters and a toddler seat in our car (a 2006 Skoda fabia) but you'd not fit in much more... and the boot is smaller than on alot of other cars I have seen. It suits us and was the best value for us at the time, they are reliable and in 2006 Skoda fabia was winning all kinds of 'car of the year' awards.

To me, it seems buying a good value sturdy car that will last you a while, that you can always get parts for... well it is a green'ish solution.
My OH sold Skodas for a while, I LOVE them and really wish we could afford one. They are just such fantastic wee cars they hold their value too well. ALAYS on the look out for one though! I have to say the Fabia VRS was the best car I have ever been in and ticked every box I could have wished for execpt cost. It is top of my Winning Lottery Ticket list!!!!
Behind every sucessful man is an fantastic woman!
Not sure who first said it or exact words but so very true!!

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

family car

:? :? I may not have quite followed the thread well but i would go for a 2CV or a Dyannne(think thats how its spelt) from citron. good suspension ,for type handles well (took 2CV to scotland in jan and stayed on road with black ice galore) mine carried a 1000 yellow pages! and they are an absolute hoot to drive cant take much seriously in an upturned pram!!! now have landy 110 "cv cant tow 3.5 tonne horse box. but with definatly get another 1 for fun if could afford it.

Gytrash
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: West Yorkshire, under a daft hat, with an elf-bolt in his neck...

Re: family car

happy place wrote::? :? I may not have quite followed the thread well but i would go for a 2CV or a Dyannne(think thats how its spelt) from citron.
Some folks reckon the Citroen Berlingo is the modern equivalent. Quirky looking, useful load space, built to withstand knocks and bumpy country lanes. I thought of getting one myself and using it as a vehicle for both work and leisure. I think you can fold down/take out the rear seats to create what is in effect a small van with windows. Seems like a good compromise, and green in that it fulfills the role of two vehicles!
According to the Parkers car guide, the 1.6 diesel version gives decent fuel economy and low emmissions.

There are other similar cars, like the Renault Kangoo, Fiat Doblo etc. The Parkers guide is quite a useful website, giving each vehicle a 'Green' rating and write-up in it's respective review.
http://www.parkers.co.uk/

jayney
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

'greener car'

Hi,
well having read your post i can highly recommend a smart car.
Yes i know just the name makes people crack up laughing, but they really are quite good when you look a little closer.
They are made with a safety shell and then the body panels fit around it. The body panels are made from recycled plastic. They will cost you £35 per year to tax, and as from oct 08 will be free in the congestion zone. They are cheap to run fuel wise, comfortable to drive with the semi auto gear box, and can come with lots of luxuries you can expect on more expensive cars.
I am now very biased towards the little things because having looked into it very carefully i have taken the plunge and bought one. And i have to say, I LOVE it. I have just got back from a country break in Norfolk and had great fun driving about the country lanes in the snow in it.
And i can honestly say i feel happier doing the 1:5 hour commute into london everyday to work because it is much less toxic than the 2.2 vectra i used to drive, and although it only has 2 seats there is only ever me in the car! so it takes up less room on the road, shortening the traffic queue slightly.
Please read this objectively, most people just laugh at them, but they could change your life. A 4 seat version is available too.
I hope this helps in some small way, even if it only made you laugh and brightened your day.
Jayney

Gytrash
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: West Yorkshire, under a daft hat, with an elf-bolt in his neck...

But I can't get a mower in the back! :mrgreen:
So the Smart car only sounds good to me if it's purely for moving one or two people. In which case I'd look at public transport, or even a bicycle first.

I hope I never find a vehicle that would 'change my life'... It's a car!
It shouldn't have that measure of influence in my life!

ina

Re: 'greener car'

jayney wrote: Please read this objectively, most people just laugh at them, but they could change your life.
It's only Brits who laugh at them, I think. When I travelled to Germany last year (by bus), I had several hours wait in London. I saw ONE smart car. In Germany I saw several in any given hour, wherever I went... London was full of 4x4s, right in the centre of the city, taking up masses of space (but, I suppose, showing that the owners had the money to spare... :roll: )

Yes, I agree, the smart cars are brilliant - provided you don't have furniture to move, or trees, or, as mentioned above, lawn mowers! I was also amazed at how much leg room there was - my little Nissan Micra rather cramps my legs (not my style, though).

The Citroen Berlingo sounds interesting for my needs. Must look into that, for when my little old rustheap doesn't make the MOT any more... (I fear that day is coming closer! :( )
Ina

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have to say the missis wants one of those diablo type things she likes the sliding doors aparently good for loading the kids.