Puncture proof tyres

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Puncture proof tyres

Don't know about kevlar tape(too modern for me) but you used to be able to get something called OKO which stays liquid inside tubeless tires.MC couriers always swore by it.

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

What hubby used was 'Stan's tubeless'. Sounds similar to what other people have mentioned I think, :dontknow: you take the inner tube out, add a liner and put some tyre sealant in. Not uncomfortable at all :scratch:

The Prehistorian
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Solid tyres can be pretty aweful to ride on. Dunno about the newest ones, but some of the older ones, although not p*nct*ring, they did cut up pretty bad after very little use.

Best tyre that I've used on the road is the Marathon Plus - very p*nct*re resistent due to inbuild kevlar belt etc. Although they are not as fast as many other tyres I've only had one p*nct*re in the 3 or 4 years of use, and that was the other week after riding through some major hedge cuttings, compared to many more p*nct*res, on my other bikes withdifferent tyres, used over the same terrain.

Tyre liners can work but need care in fitting and inflation - they may prevent p*nct*res but friction with the tube can cause damage.

If you use a slime like product, just remember, if you do get a thorn in the tyre - DON'T pull it out! I prefer not to use slime as if you do get a hole that it can't handle, you can get pretty messy trying to change the tube - not good when you are on your way into the office.

surlymonkey

I also second the Marathon Plus tyres. They enable me to ride around glass strewn roads with gay abandon! They're pricey, but there are cheaper alternatives on Fleabay.

pelmetman

How about the stuff you can buy for emergency roadside tyre repairs, I think you just spray it in through the valve?
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy