Cars that run on Bio Derv

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
archemily
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cars that run on Bio Derv

Just thought I'd start a list.
Vauxhall Vectra 1998 DL (not the turbo version.)
Ran well on bio with no loss of performance, no modifications rqd. It had the Bosh pump & injectors. Had to scrap the car because it had a repeatedly dodgy engine mount. Bought it 2nd hand so the car had probably been pranged and the frame was a wee bit bent.

My friend runs a similar age Pergeot 306 diesel and has made no mods & hasn't had any issues with performance either.

You get told that bio derv rots the rubber hoses. Perhaps it does on older cars but no problems found on these two by K & I.

Madest thing I ever saw was an article in Chemistry & Industry magazine about 25yrs ago now :oops: which told of a Scottish guy who got 300mpg on a 340 petrol Volvo because he did some jiggery pokery with adding water to the fuel mix. He was showing a small black box about 18" by 10" over the engine of the car in the photo. It was this box that held the 'magic' mechanics. I can remember checking to see if it was the April issue. It wasn't. Not heard of it since. Wish I could remember which issue it was. Anyone else out there remember it? :banghead:

ShaunP
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Cars that run on Bio Derv

Running on Bio is a very complex question. Have a look at this website and you will start to see how complex it can be!!! None the less.......when I can get waste oil I use it to make bio for my car and van.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

Dont know how to make it a clinky link!!

trikerdrew
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi ,

My little van works fine on wvo.

Vaux combo 1.7 merit non turbo.

Rescued van for £80 and fixed electrics and run for the last 12 months.

Prior to this I ran a rover 620sdli on wvo for two years.

regards

Drew

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Sorry Drew, as a complete no-hoper where cars/engines/mechanical things in general are concerned - what's wvo? :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

SusieGee wrote:
Green Aura wrote:Sorry Drew, as a complete no-hoper where cars/engines/mechanical things in general are concerned - what's wvo? :lol:
Waste Vegetable Oil Maggie :iconbiggrin:
But that's WVOM.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We don't have WVO here - I use it to fuel my oil lamps.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Big Al

archemily wrote:Just thought I'd start a list.
Vauxhall Vectra 1998 DL (not the turbo version.)
Ran well on bio with no loss of performance, no modifications rqd. It had the Bosh pump & injectors. Had to scrap the car because it had a repeatedly dodgy engine mount. Bought it 2nd hand so the car had probably been pranged and the frame was a wee bit bent.

My friend runs a similar age Pergeot 306 diesel and has made no mods & hasn't had any issues with performance either.

You get told that bio derv rots the rubber hoses. Perhaps it does on older cars but no problems found on these two by K & I.

Madest thing I ever saw was an article in Chemistry & Industry magazine about 25yrs ago now :oops: which told of a Scottish guy who got 300mpg on a 340 petrol Volvo because he did some jiggery pokery with adding water to the fuel mix. He was showing a small black box about 18" by 10" over the engine of the car in the photo. It was this box that held the 'magic' mechanics. I can remember checking to see if it was the April issue. It wasn't. Not heard of it since. Wish I could remember which issue it was. Anyone else out there remember it? :banghead:

I believe that this "jiggery pokery device" and patents were bought out by the fuel companies.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Oilystairs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi, i would like to start making my own biodiesel over here in france. I know the UK chancellor allows 2500litres for personal use without any tax but anyone know if the french tax man allows a simlar amount? Long shot but hey

oldjerry

So who's coming round to your place to check how much you're using?

dave45

Does anyone on here make their own biodiesel ? I've been saving my WVO for the last year... must have at least 5 litres now ! What do I do next?

Oilystairs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Oldjerry, i get your drift but i think the french tax man would probably fine me heavily if i was avoiding paying duty. Chances of getting caught very low but still........... The thing that worries me is that UK ebay is flooded with kits for making biodiesel but not a sausage on the french ebay.

oldjerry

You and I have a different attitude to the law,for me the individual is sacrosanct,on the other hand the state..........

oldjerry

More practically,the general opinion around here (and it could well be wrong) is that anything that has a Bosch fuel pump will befine.I'd run 50/50 veg oil to diesel,but others run neat veg oil.When veg oil was cheaper people bought 10 litres from T***o and stuck it straight in in the car park,(illegal of course, so you would'nt ever do that ,who would?) but now you're better off filtering the used stuff from the chip shop.Plenty of people run Landies on it (crap non Bosch pumps) but NOT any of the new(ish) common rail diesels.Even if you run straight diesel,shove some veg oil in when you go for the MOT,and you'll always pass the emissions test. Best Wishes.

Carltonian Man

archemily wrote: did some jiggery pokery with adding water to the fuel mix.
Google water injection, you can buy the kits but some people are even making their own