Segway anyone?

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Laserbeak
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Segway anyone?

have any of you invested in a Segway to get yourself around? I just cant see this being a serious mode of transportation. Am i wrong or is the Segway only good for Walt Disney World Cast members selling glowing toys?

QuizMaster
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Segway anyone?

When I went to the U.S. of A, I came back with the impression that these people love their cars. They drive everywhere.
I remember thinking they would drive to their cars if they could.

Well now they can.

Rod in Japan
Living the good life
Living the good life

I rode a Segway once, and I have the distinction, with George W Bush, of having fallen off it, although he didn't bash his face on a concrete floor, whereas I did.

It was at an eco trade fair, and I immediately began pushing the Segway envelope. I tested it to see how tightly it could turn. I got it going up on one wheel. No problem there. Then I tested acceleration and stopping. This is where the envelope broke. I charged across the hall, leaned back for a rubber squealing stop, and feeling myself toppling backwards, lurched forward. The magic gyro mechanism held my forward motion momentarily, then with a little sighing noise, gave up. Whereupon I pitched forward and smashed my face into the ground. One of my front teeth got dinged inwards, but I popped it back into place (it still hurts occasionally, but it's OK.) I got a split lip and bloody nostrils. Nobody watching laughed, amazingly. I would have. When I showed my face to some Swedes who were also there and who were also tempted to lay some rubber, they laughed like drains.

The potential for grief with these vehicles is clearly evident in their design. And unless you're handicapped, there's nothing about them that makes them superior to bikes or kickboards, which now also come in handy electric versions at a fraction of the price of the Segway.

Rod in Japan
Living the good life
Living the good life

It looks as though the Segway will be toast soon. Toyota has got in on the act, and they're going to follow their usual steady, rational development and deployment procedure. Their 'Twiglet' is portable too, making it far more useful than the Segway.

I still prefer kickboards though.

missie moo
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

i had a go on one of these at paris plages this summer. it was great fun but, as far as transport goes, it just seems to be a very expensive skateboard. i didn't fall off, but my first attempt at ramp ascension provided onlookers with a few moments entertainment. i got a round of applause on successful negotiation of the subsequent descent :lol:.
jane

solarcooker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

The main problem with the Segway that I see is that it solves a problem that doesn't exist. By that, I mean, if you add just one more wheel(non-powered) to it, then there's no need for accelerometers, gyros, computers, and the power rating of the motors could be halved. The two powered wheels in front. One centered wheel that can swivel, in back(or two - one on each side). That means a smaller battery pack, too. It doesn't sit there "burning up" power when you aren't moving, just trying to keep you from falling over. Those babies aren't cheap, either.

The "inverted pendulum" concept isn't new. It's been around since the first circus clown spun a plate on top of a stick, or balanced a chair on his head. It just seems like overkill for a means of transportation. They do look cool of course, unless you go for an unexpected "flight". There have been a number of accidents. I read that the units were all recalled originally, because the computer could unexpectedly take off in reverse when you were travelling forward. Ouch!