What am I?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
witch way?
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What am I?

Following a recent thread refering to pagans, as my name suggests, I am undecided as to my 'label'. My lifestyle would suggest a hedgewitch, ie green, keep pigs, chix, bees, grow veg and rush to the herb garden at the first sneeze, but if I describe myself as such somebody mentions beltane or whatever and I have absolutely no knowldege or interest in rituals or any kind of worship. I can then feel the vibes saying 'Ha, call yourself a witch!' and I feel a bit of a fraud.

I love this planet, I am appreciative of the sun and rain. I get me coat and sit outside and look in wonder at a silvery moon and a glorious rainbow brings a tear to my eye. I suppose a sort of spontanaeous appreciation rather than ritualistic worship. I'm not sure of the difference between a pagan and witch but I think thats ritualistic too. The nearest I've got is to call myself a peasant, which I think is a variation of pagan? but this sounds today a bit like I'm deliberately ignorant. I did look briefly at Budhism but I do like to ingest toxins occasionally. :drunken: and I'm not serious enough. I'm not trying for a heavy religious debate and I am not knocking any religion or beliefs of others, and I don't really need a label, I suppose my question is a little bit tonge in cheek. I'm just curious as to any ideas and opinions. (Sorry, I'm currently going through a bout of insomnia) w.
Money talks - but it dont sing and dance and it cant walk.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you need a label???

I prefer to live without one (spiritually) People will always assume that you do/celebrate things that you don't or believe in things that you don't... so I just don't give myself a label.

Though I am happy that I eventually found that I am an 'isher... I never had a name for my lifestyle before. :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Welsh Girls Allotment
Living the good life
Living the good life

When you decide on a label - will you let me know :lol:

I feel a connection to the earth and the seasons and a more simplistic lifestyle but the same as you know little about the goddesses and festival associated with Paganism - I am learning but the ritualistic side of things is still shrouded in mystery to me.

So when you find your label or we all agree on one let me know and I will stick it on my forehead with pride :mrgreen:

The ish lifestyle does sum most of us up quite neatly !

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Couldn't agree more. The word pagan derives simply from "country dweller". Religion (as in ritual) is a personal preference and, as such, is important on a private level. The broadly important thing, in my opinion, is your attitude to the world around you, and you see it expressed all over the place (harm none, tread lightly, pass quietly etc.). You don't need a label for that.

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think the majority of people who would call themselves "pagan" for want of a better word, probably identify with your description. I certainly do: I hold a profound reverence for the natural world and feel more at peace when I am in connection or rhythm with the weather, the changing seasons and phases of the moon. I observe these things and how they make me feel, how they impact upon my life and hold sway over other beings. I don´t however, believe in anything supernatural. Although I think the narratives and webs that we weave that allude to these things are important to enrich our lives.......just because I don´t believe something exists doesn´t mean I can´t use the metaphor constructively. This is where I think people get hung-up on "paganism", because we talk about gods and godesses and possibly make rituals........they don´t understand that we don´t have to believe in these things to make use of them.

Another label might be (Naturalistic)PANTHEIST? possibly, someone put me on to this "label" after I joined a pagan network but said that I didn´t actually believe in "something else".

Blessed be, Clara x
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

possum

Being pagan and being a witch (known to some as wiccan) are not the same thing at all. Witches are pagan, but not all pagans are witches.
From what you say I would call you pagan, but not a witch.
Opinionated but harmless

Millymollymandy

Can't you just be someone who enjoys nature and the great outdoors? :? :? :? I love all that stuff but don't need a label, especially something religious!!!

witch way?
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You're all quite right, the label is not at all necessary. I suppose what I'm after really is some sort of definitions. I thought that wiccan is the American version of an English hedgewitch. I think I might settle for being a SSish peasant. :flower: w.
Money talks - but it dont sing and dance and it cant walk.

hedgewitch

witch way? wrote:I might settle for being a SSish peasant.
I'll join you on that then.
:flower:

seriously though....labels are given by people to make said people feel more comfortable. A place for everything and everything in its place kind of extreme mentality.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

circlecross

I can't be doing with the rituals - quite often they mean nothing to me, and seem very contrived. I think we make our own rituals and if you are living close to the land or off it then your rituals will tell the land what it is, and your soul will be filled because of it. If you can see the beauty in nature and feel the power of the changing seasons then that is reverence without any "characters".

(As Tull put it "What will these changing times, motorways, power lines keep us apart? Oh I don't think so, I saw some grass growing through the pavement today").

I used to feel I needed a label (especially when filling out forms) but pagan is a usefully diamorphous term, and does tend to deflect most questions!
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

On the census form I put down 'pagan spiritualist'

I am aware of help that doesn't come in any solid form but is linked to people or a person late of this world, and also strong feelings that come from natural things that are generally called 'inanimate'

so that description seemed to fit me - even though the form asked for 'religion' - which as far as I understand it is a system of belief or faith, with rules, rites and rituals.

I do like to celebrate the change of the seasons (and of course here in the Uk we have more seasons than most :lol: )
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

There are some truly beautiful things written on this thread.

When I was growing up I knew several individuals who described themselves as "pagan" or "wiccan" but seemed very out-of-touch with nature, seasonal cycles, etc. They followed the rituals but seemed to be unaware of what they meant. Still, they were happy to identify as being members of those belief circles.

Call yourself whatever you feel comfortable with. Any spiritual belief is just how we interpret the forces in the world beyond our control.

It is my feeling that spirituality based upon the truths that you know in your heart are right, and always will be. If you feel that those truths start to change, so be it.

Good luck in your search either way.

celticmyth
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi Witch Way :wink:
As a pagan you don't need to have a grasp of ritual,it's all down to the individual whether that's a part of your "path" or not......and whether you find a label for what you are or not.....it doesn't matter.........Umpteen years down the line from realising that a pagan was what i'd been all along,i still don't have a label that i'm comfortable with.......no one word or phrase can sum up my spirituality,so pagan is as good a word as anything else :wink:
Tree Hugging Dirt Worshipper

Martin

I don't think there's a snappy phrase for it, but "cut out the middleman" is my attitude.........I'm a "well I don't bloody know" - there may be, there may not - the place I think there may be "something else" is out in nature - the place I'm damned sure there isn't anything is during a religious service........(the sun is shining, the birds are singing outside, and they've shut the ruddy doors!):roll:
I think the best definition of sane religion I've come across was a very wise lady, who when I said "I just can't pray to people or Gods on clouds - it just doesn't compute" grinned, and tapped me on the chest and said "pray to the god in there!" :wink:
My "stated religion" shifts according to who's asking - if it's Jehovah's Witnesses it's varied from Catholic, through devil-worshipping to strict naturist! :mrgreen:
Ritual has always had me falling about with laughter - whether it's the christians with their incense and wee willie winkie robes, and interminable hymns, or the pagans with their getting frozen at full moon.........what do they imagine they are praying to or summoning? - some sort of celestial Elton John who positively feeds on adoration, and the repetition of the most awful music?...........do they envision their "god" to be so blessed vacuous that he/she would want their prize creations to waste their time on performing meaningless and interminable rituals - do they not think that she/he may get blooming bored with it, every blessed sunday (and secretly wish for a few Hendrix riffs instead of the out of tune organ music and two hundred year old hymns?) :mrgreen:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, those of you who call yourselves Pagan. how do you define Pagan?

Is it a simple love, respect and understanding of nature?

I believe that nature is an all being and powerful force, I believe that if you don't respect it you will suffer nature's wrath. I believe that if you live in harmony with nature you will reap the benefits... does this mean I am a type of pagan?

I have always imagined pagans to be velvet dress wearing, long haired, dancing in circles, and singing odd songs in 'ye olde englishe'
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay