Delia the renegade master

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Andy Hamilton wrote:That BBC one trailer with the renegade master, a tune that I used to dance about to at 5am, really does disturb me. What next Alan Titchmarsh being promoted with the logical song by Scooter????

This is a good Delia Recipe, perhaps my favorite and sort of in keeping with the new style Delia.
Nah.. I think THIS ONE is better... and in keeping with today's spring cleaning exercise ;-)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

My sis wrote a funny article about this for her newpaper.

Don't know if it'll be appreciated on here though

:lol:

Here's just a bit of it...

Get back in the kitchen, Delia

Saint Delia has been in Leeds this week promoting her latest book, about how not to cook.
It's selling faster than a person can slurp a Pot Noodle but Delia has come in for a lot of flak on account of it recommending frozen mashed potato discs and tinned mince – and that's just for the trifle.

No, really though, this book by Delia, called How To Cheat At Cooking, has left a lot of her fans feeling like they've been stabbed in the eye with a corn-on-the-cob holder. They're hurt, they're positively reeling at the idea of nanny Delia suddenly trying to get with the programme.

Hearing Delia go all devil-may-care about the provenance of the pastry is a bit like listening to Mary Poppins telling the kids to sit down, shut up and put the telly on. It's like your domestic science teacher recommending that you order in a takeaway, or like your mum telling you to get that double gin down your neck. It doesn't feel right.

Shirley

Great... where can we read the rest of the article?? :lol:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yorkshire Evening Post

ina

Shirlz wrote: Frozen rosti potato
That's one of my favourite homemade fast foods - not from frozen, of course... Takes about 2 minutes to get in the pan! I heard about that programme on the radio - thank goodness for no TV in the house... :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Cheezy

I've not seen it, and to be honest I don't want to. I grew up with Delia's original cook book, in fact it got me an "O" level in Home Ecomomics (And top of School Home Economics prize :lol: )

It goes against everything modern day cooks are trying to do. And all I stand for, local, fresh ,seasonal ingredients.
Her origianl book is a classic, and if you compare the much lauded (and later produced)Gary Rhoades "Modern British Cooking" you will see a very similar style and types of recipes :wink:

I can see what she's trying to do, she's trying to prove that every busy person has time to make "home cooked" food, using certain short cuts.
But I personally would have prefered her to make this point using technology (microwaves and pressure cookers)
Madar Jefferies has a 20 min curry cook book thats great. She "cheats" on pulses and meat cooking by using a pressure cooker, nothing wrong with that. All the ingriedients are fresh, and could be local/seasonal.
Last edited by Cheezy on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

ina

Cheezy wrote:She "cheats" on pulses and meat cooking by using a pressure cooker, nothing wrong with that.
That's not cheating - that's actually saving energy!
Ina

Cheezy

ina wrote:
Cheezy wrote:She "cheats" on pulses and meat cooking by using a pressure cooker, nothing wrong with that.

Exactly Ina. Now a modern programme on how to use pressure cookers and microwaves, using fresh seasonal ingredients, saving time AND money that would be worth gettign a tellie for!
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Cheezy

Cheezy wrote:
ina wrote:

Exactly Ina. Now a modern programme on how to use pressure cookers and microwaves, using fresh seasonal ingredients, saving time AND money that would be worth getting a tellie for!

Edit ...again whats going on all sort of weird stuff with my edits....sorry

hamster

And slow cookers! Slow cookers are fab if you're busy, I just whack stuff in and forget about it for hours...

Maybe we should do an SSish cooking programme...
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Tigerhair

What did she day about chickens and the other chefs saying that they should be organic/free range...? something like "celebrity chefs shouldn't interfere - express an opinion"...

WHY not if it gets people thinking?! She's certainly opinionated herself!
Tigz x

Helsbells

When I popped into Asda today for some emergency marmite I came across this interview with Delia in the Asda Magazine...I wont copy it all, just the highlights (I will let you draw your own conclusions):

Does cheating mean compromising on flavour?
Not if you go the right way about it. In fact sometimes its an improvement. I think cooking fish from frozen tastes better. It tastes really fresh, like its straight out of the sea.

What leve of cookery skills do you need to be able to cook from this book?
Everything is this book is easy. Sometimes it was difficult for me to try to make it as easy as possible. I think using a mini-chopper will reassure a lot of people that they dont have to learn how to chop to cook well.

Tell me about the Asda ingredients you've used in your book?
....I love the Extra Special Jumbo Crab White meat, which is so convenient as it comes in a tin and is a great stor cupboard standby. Its great to use when making fish cakes. Amother wonderful ingredient is the Frozen Grilled Aubergine. And of course there is the frozed Thai Curry mix.

Do you think that supermarkets are doing a good job at providing quality products?
We're very lucky that we can walk into a supermarket and buy great ingredients from around th world. I think Asda, in particular is listening to customers and trying to give them what they want - thats the key. If you listen to what people want, and serve them, making a profit is not a problem.

ina

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This leaves me speechless... :pale:
Ina

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I put it all down to the aluminium in the tea .... the madness and dementia, that is .... now, where did I put my cup?

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

GOSH and is that the SAME person who wrote some real lovely books on how to cook stuff and now THIS!

oh yes even in netherlands we know her. I used to like her programmes though I have not seen this particular new one yet.
then I rather watch nigel slater or nigella lawson or even jamie cook........REAL stuff with REAL taste.

berti