Haggis

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ohareward
Living the good life
Living the good life

Haggis

In Dunedin, ( which is Gaelic for Edinburg) NZ, they were celebrating their Scottish heritage, so they produced a large haggis. It weighed 100kg, took 7 hours to cook and they had to use the stomach of a bullock because it was so large. It took 4 blokes to lift it into the cooking pot. My mouth drooled. :love4:
'You know you are a hard-core gardener if you deadhead flowers in other people's gardens.

To err is human. To blame someone else, is management potential.

Bonniegirl
A selfsufficientish Regular

:pale:
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

Shirley

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum!!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

:pukeleft:
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

My girlfriend is Scottish and her aunty is visiting at the moment. She gave me a haggis last night, so thats what I am having for dinner. I can see why people can be put off haggis as it does not sound the most appetizing - A Scottish dish consisting of a mixture of the minced heart, lungs, and liver of a sheep or calf mixed with suet, onions, oatmeal, and seasonings and boiled in the stomach of the slaughtered animal.

but it is delicious!
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

And don't forget Groundskeeper Willy's comment Andy - "Tastes as good as it sounds!" :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

red

i love haggis - not sure I could manage a whole one of that size though..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Haggis is great! Sort of always reminds me of black pudding somehow - lovely :lol:
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

Milims

I'd best not let my daughter read the ingredients - we had Haggis neeps and tatties for tea last night and she loved it so dan't watn to put her off!!!

BTW - speaking of local foods - did any one else have Carlins yesterday - or is it just peculiar to our bit of the North East?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

but whats the best way to cook a haggis? Steamed, boiled or in the microwave. Or even..... used to stuff a chicken.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Thomzo

Milims wrote:I'd best not let my daughter read the ingredients - we had Haggis neeps and tatties for tea last night and she loved it so dan't watn to put her off!!!

BTW - speaking of local foods - did any one else have Carlins yesterday - or is it just peculiar to our bit of the North East?

Erm - what are Carlins?
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Milims

Ah - obviously peculiar to here then!!!

The Sunday before Easter was Carlin Sunday, a custom unique in this corner of the country, would be observed, which it was said celebrated the fortuitous wrecking of a ship on the rocks. The locals were destitute and near starvation. The vessel was carrying a cargo of maple peas and the people were saved! On this day the mothers put the carlins to soak, the night before, then on the little brown peas were boiled then left in their juices to cool and soak. In the evening they were strained and slowly cooked in butter, sugar and pepper, and in some pubs, a shot of rum! The result was a delicious feast of luscious peas in thick black gravy, with predictable effects the next morning

Basically they are maple peas - also called pigeon peas - an Elizabethan pea that grows to about 6 feet tall with purple and white flowers.

We always had them with the Rum sauce on the 4th Sunday of lent. My granda always sat at the table with a big grin on his face and said - "Carlin Sunday - Fartin Monday!!" much to grannys disgust!!!

Chris was so impressed with them that he grabbed a handful before I boiled them and he's planted them - I'll let you know how they grow!!!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

circlecross

we have carlins for sale in NW, and my mum always says "Carlin Sunday , Fartin Monday", but we have never actually eaten them.

Haggis - as with everything else around Fringe time - battered and deep fried. This is my husbands preferred way to eat it.

My mum tends to buy me vegetarian haggis (I suppose they are grazers...) every time she crosses the border (we are 10 miles away), and so I usually have vegetarian haggis, in a skin...in a tin!
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've had to switch to a low cholesterol diet Hagis is on the try never to eat list. What a shame.

Shirley

Andy Hamilton wrote:but whats the best way to cook a haggis? Steamed, boiled or in the microwave. Or even..... used to stuff a chicken.
I prefer boiled - but it's scrummy in slices and fried or put inside a toastie!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/